Update on John Murtari

From: Kids-Right (kidsrigh@hammer.thebook.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 11:13:25 EST

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Update on John Murtari:

        We have updated the site, www.Kids-Right.org to
reflect the current protest of our friend John Murtari.
He was arrested on Friday, February 19 in a non-violent
act of civil disobedience.

John is planning to remain imprisoned until legislative
action is taken on his behalf. All he is asking for is
that an investigation be done on his case. We encourage
everybody to write to our State and County legislators
and help bring his matter to the public's attention.

On Wednesday, February 24th, in a mix up, John was released
by a town judge. Rather than defeat the purpose of his protest,
he walked next door to the Syracuse Public Safety Building and
requested to be arrested because the guards at the Justice
Center would not arrest him. John's peaceful protest
almost turned violent when the officers on duty refused to
arrest John. He was physically removed from the building,
walked across the street, and pushed into the wall of the
Onondaga County Courthouse. Not understanding why he was
being treated this way, John complained. His complaints were
met with threats that they would arrest John and write
him up as "a crazy" or that if he refused to leave, he would
be going to jail via the hospital. Before anything more
happened, a third officer arrived on the scene and took
control of the situation. John was arrested again and returned
to the Justice Center.

Addresses of our public officials are listed below:

   Gov. George E. Pataki
        State Capitol
        Albany, NY 12224
        E-Mail: gov.pataki@chamber.state.ny.us

   Assemblyman Michael J. Bragman
        305 S. Main Street
        N. Syracuse, NY 13212
        (315) 452-1044

   Congressman James Walsh
     Washington Office:
        2351 Rayburn House Office Building
        Washington, DC 20515
        (202) 225-3701 (phone)
        (202) 225-4042 (fax)
     Syracuse District Office:
        P.O. Box 7306
        1340 Federal Building
        Syracuse, NY 13261
        (315) 423-5657 (phone)
        (315) 423-5669 (fax)

Details and updated information about Murtari's situation
can be found at

            http://www.Kids-Right.org/protest_jm.htm.

Also, feel free to contact John Murtari, himself! He
would be happy to hear from you.

        John Murtari
        POD 4B-36
        555 South State Street