Jail Protest Ended/Future Planning

From: Kids-Right (kidsrigh@hammer.thebook.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 16:26:29 EST

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Folks,

This message contains information on:

1. John Murtari's release from jail.
2. Need for your help in planning/policy.
3. Next protest team.

1. Release from jail
--------------------

John was very happy to get out of jail after 21 days. It was
especially gratifying to get news coverage on Chan 9 (ABC),
one of the local broadcast networks in Syracuse.

If you are in the Syracuse area, Time Warner, Local Cable 13,
will be running an in depth News Magazine story on the protest
March 25th at 7:30PM and on the 26th at 6:30 PM. They spent about
two hours interviewing John while he was in Jail.

-----
We may have finally defined this in terms that are non-threatening,
easy to understand, and an effective fix: "You have a basic human
right to associate with your children. That special right deserves
the protection of a jury trial."

I think the basic idea your relationship with your children
ought to have the same jury protection a criminal has -- made
sense to a lot of people. More than a few deputies told me
'I'm with you'. The greatest resistance comes from the legal
profession, who tend to see it more as a problem of implementation.
Some also prefer to think "father really knows best" and want
just the Judge to decide (with a few experts for help).
-----

For a complete "anatomy" of the protest please see the
page http://www.kids-right.org/protest_jm.htm , we hope you
can use it as an example in your local areas to help plan
future actions.

2. Need for your help in Planning/Policy.

John is going to try to host some organizational meetings
at his business's office in downtown Baldwinsville, just north of
Syracuse, NY. Right now the meetings are scheduled for:
7 PM, Thur, March 25th, and 3 PM, Sat, March 27th at the
Software Workshop, 55 E. Genesse St, Baldwinsville, NY.

We understand how hard it is to make time, that is why the two
different times. Many people have corresponded by phone/email.
This is a chance to meet in person to plan future strategy.

WELCOME your on-line comments via our FORUM page
at http://www.kids-right.org/online.htm -- there are two
specific questions we are looking for YOUR input on:
1. Comments/Suggestions/Questions regarding the recent protest?
2. How do we (should we) press our case forward as a Civil Rights Issue?

We need people ready to enter into serious negotiations with
local legislators, both Assembly Michael Bragman (Majority Leader
in the State Assembly) and Congressman James Walsh. Again,
we hope our experiences here will help folks nationwide.

WE REALLY HOPE TO MAKE SOME SERIOUS HEADWAY SOON AND GET
SOME LEGISLATION INTRODUCED TO MAKE POSITIVE CHANGES.

3. Next protest team

It will be important to have more people at the next
action. Optimally would like to get both men and women,
white collar and blue collar workers. Some people will be
involved with active protesting, some will provide behind
the scenes support with news releases, media contacts, etc..
If you want more information please contact John at
jmurtari@thebook.com