Murtari Update & Washington, DC Rally

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 13:13:00 EDT

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains information on:

1. Many thanks for Murtari help.
2. Fathers/Mothers Day 2000 -> 2001
3. Hall of Shame and new Hall of Fame

1. Many thanks for Murtari help
_______________________________

>From Mary Chancellor (contact@kids-right.org):

I would like to thank the more than 50 people who have e-mailed
us concerning John Murtari. I am personally trying to respond to
each and every e-mail to let you know how very much you are
appreciated for your concern and prayers. I am making copies of
the e-mails and mailing them to John so he can see the outpour of
love and interest.

Yesterday I contacted Wilbur Street who is trying to help John in
his situation. You can contact him via E-Mail at
wilbur@thefaceof.com to learn more about his situation and what
is going on in the government side of the child support issue.
If you know of anyone who can help us please feel free to call me
423-326-0585 or contact me at contact@kids-right.org.

John's mother's birthday is today. Please continue to pray for all
of us. God Bless You All and Give Each of You What You Prayed
for Today!

2. Fathers/Mothers Day 2000 -> 2001
___________________________________

We would like to present some pictures and reflections from the
rally held in Washington, D.C. There are some important ideas
for next year's event. We must continue to define who we are and
what we want for our children.

John Murtari, a Kids-Right.Org coordinator, made the trip to the
rally. He was able to carry the same picture he has used for
protests in Syracuse.

>From John:

"It was an exhilarating experience marching right down
Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House to the U.S. Capitol
Building. For many people there it was their first time
marching. Once you get over the initial feelings of hesitation
and embarrassment, almost all of them felt good from the
experience. They were finally doing something to make things
better."

There are two important issues that we need to recognize:

a) Low Participation - There were about a hundred people there.
Much more than last year, but considering the number of families
destroyed by the present system of family law--not as many as you
would expect. This is not a reason for despair.Just think back to
segregation in the South in the 1950's. It had been a way of life
for generations. If you were black, you sat in the back of the bus,
you used a different bathroom, you even drank out of a different
water fountain. Imagine that! There were laws that enforced this;
appellate decisions that upheld it as good law. "That's how it is,
just accept it and go on with your life." Sound familiar?

Not too many people even tried to protest. Why bother? But
suddenly in Montgomery, Alabama, thousands and thousands of
people wanted to participate. They now had leaders, a clear
goal, and a common approach. What about us and family law
reform?

b) Who are we and what are our goals - John had a chance to talk
to many people at the DC rally. There were moms there also. He
was trying to encourage folks to hold this as a dual rally for
next year on both Mothers & Fathers day. Moms and dads would be
helping each other. Many people like the idea, but a few people
actually said, "I WON'T DO ANYTHING TO HELP MOTHERS."

Can you believe it? John was left speechless and would just walk
away. I WON'T DO ANYTHING TO HELP MOTHERS. Wow!
How many of us feel that way? Is a mother deprived from a
Court of seeing her child less deserving of help? Is her pain any
less?

Who are we? What are our goals? We are parents who have been
deprived of our Civil Rights. In every Non-Violent Action we
take, we demonstrate that we love our children--but we won't sit
in the back of the bus any more. We want a presumption of
equality in raising our kids and the protection of a jury when
that right is threatened.

Let us all try to plan and participate in joint event next year.
Try to remember we are parents working together for our children.

A hyperlinked version of this text including the pictures can be
found at http://www.kids-right.org/rally2000.htm

3. Hall of Shame and new Hall of Fame
______________________________________

We have reorganized our Hall of Shame
(http://www.kids-right.org/shame.htm) so that people are listed
by state and new submissions are at the top. Please consider
submitting your story.

A very important part of our efforts will be recognizing parents
who were willing to "sacrifice their freedom" to do something
positive for their children. Many people have done this in the
past. One parent violated a no contact order by talking to their
teenage child as they happened to meet in a public place--six
months in jail.

We need to increase public recognition of such efforts. Our
planned "Hall of Fame" will let everyone know about these
individual efforts. Publicity is key! If you know of a story,
send it to webmaster@kids-right.org.