Readings in NonViolent Action (Thoreau) / No Syr Arrest / Essay on Stanton Needed

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 15:58:01 EST

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains information on:

1. Readings in NonViolent Action - Thoreau
2. Syracuse Update - No arrest today.
3. Essay Needed - Elisabeth Cady Stanton and the Vote

1. Readings in NonViolent Action - Henry David Thoreau
[With regards to Thoreau, please keep in mind his ideals are
associated with the concept of Civil Disobedience, and NOT NonViolent
Action as practiced later by Gandhi & King.  They shared his idea of
personal responsbility, and the tremendous power of one person acting
from conviction -- but they shed the "anger" toward the people you
disagree with.]

Born in 1816 in Concord, Massachusetts, from an average family. He was
a graduate of Harvard college and then became a teacher in the local
school -- he lasted about two weeks after disagreeing with local
officials. He then spent some time as a tutor and handyman, and then
started to write. He found himself scandalized by the nation's
acceptance of slavery and the Mexican/American war.

On July 4th, 1845 he moved his meager belongings to a cabin he had
built in the woods near Walden Pond. There he was to declare his
independence from the government for the next two years. He is "an
example of the practicability of virtue, the deep-rooted individual
who has the power to awaken his neighbors from their torpid lives of
expediency to lives of principle."

In the middle of his life at Walden Pond he was arrested for not
paying the local poll tax. He refused to pay as a way of demonstrating
he did not recognize a government, "which buys and sells, men, women,
and children, like cattle..." He spent a couple of days in jail until
the tax was paid by an anonymous benefactor.

His writings would influence later Civil Right's leaders such as
Gandhi and Martin Luther King.

---------
His essay 'Civil Disobedience' was an outgrowth of some of these
experiences. They are powerful words to anyone who is seriously
thinking of the sacrifice involved with reform. Some excerpts are
quoted below:

"There are thousands who are in opinion opposed to slavery and the war
. . . yet in effect do nothing to put an end to them . . . They
hesitate, and they regret, and they sometimes petition; but they do
nothing in earnest and with effect. They will wait, well disposed, for
others to remedy the evil . . . There are nine hundred and ninety-nine
patrons of virtue to one virtuous man. . ."

"Even voting for the right is doing nothing for it. It is only
expressing to men feebly your desire that it should prevail. A wise
man will not leave the right to the mercy of chance, nor wish it to
prevail through the power of the majority. There is but little virtue
in the action of masses of men. . ."

"Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a
just man in also a prison."

". . . But the rich man . . . is always sold to the institution which
makes him rich. Absolutely speaking, the more money, the less virtue;
for money comes between a man and his objects . . . Thus his moral
ground is taken from under his feet. . ."

"When I converse with the freest of my neighbors, I perceive that,
whatever they may say about the magnitude and seriousness of the
question . . . the long and the short of the matter is . . . they
dread the consequences of disobedience to their property and families
. . . If I deny the authority of the State when it presents it
tax-bill, it will soon take and waste all my property, and so harass
me and my children without end. This is hard . . ."

"Thus the State never intentionally confronts a man's sense,
intellectual or moral, but only his body. It is not armed with
superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength."

2. Syracuse Update - No arrest today.
-----------------------------------
John Murtari returned to the Syracuse Federal Building today to
continue his peaceful walk inside the building.  He just called in
and was able to walk for two hours with no arrest.

For more detailed information, check the web site at:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_syr

3. Essay Needed - Elisabeth Cady Stanton and the Vote
At the site we try to provide excerpts from history, so we can
learn from the past, avoid making the same mistakes, and
hopefully bring reform much sooner!  We would like to have
an essay on Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the techniques used
to bring Women the right to vote in the United States.

If you are interested, please let us know. For an example
of the tone and content, please see what we currently have
at: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm

Contact webmaster@AKidsRight.Org