NonViolent Action (Lady Lytton) / Speakers for Reform / Hearing in Michigan

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 11:01:10 EST

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People,

This message contains information on:

1. Readings in NonViolent Action - Lady Constance Lytton.
2. Public Hearings in Michigan - Dec 13, can you attend?
3. Legislative Resource - powerful speakers.
4. Syracuse Update - what's next?

1. Readings in NonViolent Action - Lady Constance Lytton is Forcibly
               Fed in an English Jail (18 Jan 1910)
The following is a historical quote about the effort and sacrifice
involved in winning a right that many now take for granted: the right
of a woman to vote.

We DO NOT want this read as an example of NonViolent Action, we DO NOT
recommend hunger strikes.  But PLEASE LOOK at what this woman was
willing to sacrifice (she could have suffered serious injury, even
death, from the forced feeding).  As we watch parents and children (and
ourselves!) unjustly separated, today, what are we willing to
sacrifice? Not as a demonstration of our anger, but to show our love.

In her own words:

I was visited by the Senior Medical Officer, who asked me how long I
had been without food.  I said I had eaten a buttered scone and a
banana on Friday about midnight.  He said, "Oh, then, this is the
fourth day; that is too long, I must feed you at once."

He urged me to take food voluntarily.  I told him that was absolutely
out of the question, that when our legislators ceased to resist
letting women vote then I should cease to resist taking food in
prison.

Two of the guards took hold of my arms, one held my head and one my
feet.  The doctor leaned on my knees as he stooped over my chest to
get at my mouth.  I shut my mouth and clenched my teeth.  He seemed
annoyed at my resistance and he broke into a temper as he plied my
teeth with the steel implement.  He dug his instrument down and it
pressed fearfully on the gums.  The pain of it was intense and at last
I must have given way for he got the gag between my teeth, when he
proceeded to turn it much more than necessary until my jaws were
fastened wide apart, far more than they would go naturally.

Then he put down my throat a tube which seemed to me much too wide and
was something like four feet in length.  The irritation of the tube
was excessive.  I choked the moment it touched my throat until it had
got down.  Then the food was poured in quickly; it made me vomit a few
seconds after it was down and the action of my sickness made my body
and legs double up, but the guards instantly pressed back my head and
the doctor leaned on my knees.  The horror of it was more than I can
describe.  I was sick over the doctor and the guards ...

When the doctor had gone out of the cell, I lay quite helpless.  The
guards were kind and knelt round to comfort me, but there was nothing
to be done.  I had been sick over my hair, all over the wall near my
bed, and my clothes seemed saturated with it, but the guards told me
they could not give me a change that night as the office was shut.

Before long I heard the sounds of the forced feeding in the next cell
to mine.  It was almost more than I could bear, it was Elsie Howey.
When the ghastly process was over and all quiet, I tapped on the wall
and called out at the top of my voice, which wasn't much just then,
"No surrender," and there came her reply, "No surrender."

-- above taken from "Eyewitness to History" by John Carey, 1987, Avon
Books, page 423

2. Public Hearings in Michigan - can you attend?
We got a message from a member in Michigan, Kathy Miller,
krist@prodigy.net, please contact her with questions:

"Since my case was posted on the Hall of Shame, Clarkston MI, the
Michigan Supreme Court is holding Public Administrative Hearings
regarding Family Court Reorganization. I forwarded your internet site
to the State Court Administrator's Office in Lansing who was
corresponding with me regarding my case in Oakland County. I have
submitted written suggestions to Chief Justice Maura Corrigan
regarding Family Court Reorganization & received notice from the
Administrative Counsel I have been added to the list of speakers for
the Public Administrative Hearing scheduled for December 13, 2001.

The Public Administrative Hearing is scheduled for December 13, 2001
from 9:30-11:30, in the courtroom located on the second floor of the
G. Mennen Williams Building, 525 West Ottawa St., Lansing, MI. Any
questioning of the speakers by the Justices will take place after that
time. Maybe I will get lucky but I doubt the Justices want to question
someone who was abused by the system."

http://www.AKidsRight.Org/shame.htm

3. Legislative Resource - powerful speakers.
As part of our efforts at Legislative reform and the passage of a
Family Rights Act -- we can expect to see Congressional Hearings held
and testimony made.  Right now our effort is focused on getting
Members of Congress to take a public position and call for hearings to
investigate the need for reform.

Many of us who are active in reform have attended meetings and had the
chance to hear people speak on the need for reform.  We'd like to
collect a list of "professionals" who would be willing to testify
before Congress. Remember, the most important testimony will come from
parents deprived of a chance to raise their own children -- but the
people below will certainly help in the effort.

They will be shown in order by State/Country.  If you know someone,
please contact them and ask if they would be willing to testify --
then send us their information.

Mr. Dean Tong (Florida) - An author of many books on custody issues
and an excellent speaker.  He has testified in many Court cases across
the country and also knows about the "system" from first hand
experience.  He has an excellent web site at:
http://www.abuse-excuse.com/

Mr. Chester Darling (Massachusetts) - An experienced Constitutional
attorney who has argued cases in the U.S. Supreme Court. He presents a
powerful speech about the issues of "rights" and how our present
system of Family Law is out of control.  Read more about "rights" at
http://www.julyfourth.net/

Dr. Robert Fay (New York) - A forensic Pediatrician who is soft
spoken, but presents many examples of how our system to protect "child
abuse," often ends up abusing innocent people (including the
children).

Professor Gladden Schrock (Vermont) - Author (Pulitzer prize nominee)
and Professor at Bennington College.  A very effective speaker on
gender issues and the "psychology" of reform.

(For more details on Legislative reform see:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/legislat.htm

4. Syracuse Update - What's next?
John Murtari is taking a "break" from his efforts at the Syracuse
Federal Building.  He will have his Son for 10 days over Christmas and
does not want to see that threatened -- they are both looking forward
to the time together.

A more detailed message should be sent out later in the week.
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_sy