Your Help Welcome - charged with being "threatening & tumultuous"

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 11:48:01 EST

http://www.kids-right.org/

To unsubscribe from this list at anytime, send email to
Majordomo@kids-right.org with the following 1 line in the
BODY of the message (Subject is ignored).

unsubscribe members

Good People & Friends,

This is a personal message that I wanted to send out without
combining it with some of the regular list stuff... A few topics:
1. Charged with being "threatening and tumultuous."
2. Christmas and Pictures.
3. Looking for Help.

1. Charged with being "threatening and tumultuous"....
I will be going back to the Federal Building this afternoon (Jan 14),
check the site for details (http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_syr).
Last Friday, it was an amazing hearing in front of Syracuse City Judge
Rosenthal. I got to see the arrest report filed by the Syracuse Police
from my arrest on Tuesday, it said:

"Defendant Murtari did cause public inconvenience, annoyance and alarm
to the many visitors and employees of the Federal Building. Defendant
Murtari's behavior was both threatening and tumultuous. The above
listed actions ... constitute the violation of Disorderly Conduct."
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_syr

My attorney had let me know about this earlier and I did give both the
Judge and DA a letter which explained what really happened and why.

Because what the Police said is so imaginary, and there were so many
witnesses (and probably building surveillance tapes) to my quiet
conduct -- there may be a good chance of pursuing a case of "malicous
prosecution".  But that is really a side issue.

What's more important is -- it really didn't bother me or frighten me
that much to see such exageration and fabrication.  If you read the
letter, I think the officer just put all that down because after the
arrest they realized they didn't have enough real facts for
"Disorderly Conduct."  After all, they had a good goal, they just
wanted to stop me from going back to the building and after the
charges which were dismissed earlier in the week -- just trespass
wouldn't do it.

It really brought back memories from my Divorce, and I'm sure many
of you can relate to reading similiar words -- or perhaps even using
similar words to describe your "tumultuous" former spouse....

Unlike with our children, there is not a lot at stake here. But I
still get a presumption of innocence and a burden of proof "beyond a
reasonable doubt," and legal representation if I can't afford it.  If
there was serious jail time I would also get the protection of a Jury.
So, not too much to worry about.  But in "Family Court" -- it would be
a whole different story. No one is every really required to "prove"
anything and you don't get many protections at all -- what a
difference!

NOTE - Please don't confuse this with me saying what the Police did
as okay. It was not and they should be punished for it.

2. Christmas and Pictures
-------------------------
On a more personal note, I just have to share some pictures of my Son
and I from the Christmas Holidays. It was a wonderful 10 days of
"normalcy."  What a treat!
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionb_syr/christmas_2001.htm

I've exchanged email with those who didn't even get to see their kids
for Christmas, or who had children who didn't want to see them! What
a terrible nightmare to live through.

3. Looking for Help
-------------------
Had a few more people contact me about maybe joining me in the halls
of the Federal Building.  That would obviously make a very powerful
statement.  But just coming to their Senate offices in Syracuse
(making the long drive) and presenting, in person, your story of how
the system hurt you -- would also be great.  It would also give me a
chance to meet some of you in person.  Just call or email me and I can
coordinate a time to meet you there. (1-877-635-1968,x-211)

ALSO -- it gives me some protection from serious prosecution for what I
am doing. It's good to have officials know that a lot of other people
are watching what is going on here. One thing I can say about Jail --
it is NOT a nice place to visit, and I DON'T want to live there!

(I'm always reminded of the importance of your personal action and
good will to make reform happen and to my well being.  It's hard to
believe that getting arrested over 15 times isn't enough "news" for
the local media -- there isn't that much going on in Syracuse, NY!
It's hard to believe that Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, who wants to
be a future President of the United States, feels safe in not even
acknowledging our requests for action on reform.  We need to
demonstrate our conviction that our Civil Rights have been violated.)

The whole point of what we are doing is to get some response from
members of Congress.  The web site has information on how to contact
them (it only takes a few minutes to make a phone call).  Just let the
local Representatives know you would like to know their position on
reform.  We'd like to collect a list of those who make contact, post
what you did at a special Forum page:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/dcforuom/one/protest/8.html

Best Regards!
John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org)