Your FEEDBACK & Federal Trial Results (Guilty and NOT guilty)

From: Webmaster (kids-right) (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 20:39:26 EST

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People and People of Faith,

This message contains:

1. Federal Trial Results - guilty & NOT guilty as charged.
2. Your pretrial FEEDBACK - thanks for the thoughts.

1. Federal Trial Results - guilty & NOT guilty as charged!
Today, in US District Court, Magistrate Judge Gustav DiBianco found
John Murtari both guilty and NOT guilty as charged in the government's
4 count complaint.  If you find this confusing, so was the trial.  At
the conclusion attorneys for both sides were trying to understand
what the ruling meant. [We should have a transcript of the ruling in a
few days at the web site. If you wish to read the original complaint
and activity leading up to this trial, please check:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr/federal_trial.htm].

In a case where it first seemed the Judge was ready to find John
guilty on all counts -- John's Public Defender, Ms. Lisa Peebles, put
up a very strong  fight during the trial and moved for dismissal of ALL
charges after the prosecution had completed it's case -- the grounds,
they had not shown any "obstruction" of the building that would have
violated the rules.  The Judge reserved decision and directed the
defense to present its case, but in the end, after a powerful closing
argument, it was obvious the Judge could not sustain all the claims
made by the US Attorney's office.

However, on the last two counts of the complaint, which involved a
"group" of people blocking the halls and not obeying an order to leave
-- he found John guilty.  This was very confusing since the three
other group members who had accompanied John on July 29th, were just
there to visit Senator Clinton's office and had no intention of
walking in the hallways with John. BUT -- as they walked by John in
the halls (he was already under arrest), that created the "crowd" that
needed to be dispersed.

An appeal is planned both on the facts and Constitutional grounds, but
the win on the first two counts appears to indicate as an individual,
he did nothing wrong.  The US Attorney's office had hoped a conviction
would make it clear John's conduct was not allowed in the building,
this mixed decision may have served to only increase confusion and
partially support his position.

Judge DiBianco asked both sides for letters regarding sentencing.
John will again appear in Court on November 22nd for his sentence and
the Judge made it clear incarceration was quite possible and his
future conduct might influence the sentence to be imposed.

John plans on returning to the building next Monday, Nov 4th, at 1pm.
More details as we can get them posted at the site,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr, Your participation is welcome!

We should all note -- other than Mary Jo Marceau-Hawthorne (our PR
person and also a witness at the trial), there were no other parents
in attendance.  John was very, very relieved at the outcome -- he had
been prepared to begin a jail sentence today.

2. Your FEEDBACK - thanks for the thoughts!

--- Children's Legal (childrenslegal@hotmail.com) - Press Release

--- Gregory Romeo (WacoDads@aol.com)

> John: First Step of your Federal Trial, make sure that the judge,
> prosecutor and even your own defense council are ALL AWARE of their
> duties as per statute as well as oath... (case law references)

Sorry for the delay and I want to thank you for the references and the
case law.  My lawyer is making good constitutional arguments, you can
read her memo of law at the site.

But I guess what is really needed is more people. That Senator Clinton
can just ignore a parent outside her offices, and other parents
visiting her, and actually let the person be prosecuted is more an
"indictment" of us, the parents in this movement, and how disjointed
things are.  We haven't found the path yet to get people fired up and
active -- but I think that will come with time (I just hope it is
soon!).

--- Gloria (GKelly1091@aol.com)

--- BRIAN DUTCHER <bddutcher@yahoo.com>  - Support

--- Joe (JMargrabia@aol.com) -- Support