Your FEEDBACK - Role of Personal Sacrifice in Family Law Reform

From: Webmaster (webmaster@kids-right.org)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 10:11:04 EST

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People & People of Faith:

This message contains your FEEDBACK to a previous list message which
asked the questions: Is personal sacrifice an essential element of
serious Family Law reform?  What type of sacrifice and what about
Faith?  See the original message at:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2003/0007.html

We want to thank you for some excellent thoughts.  It was some of
the best feedback we've had both in what was said -- and also interesting
in what was not said...

--- "David Shackleton" <editor@everyman.org>  "Are you entitled to see your kids?"

> I think that you are exactly right that personal sacrifice is an
> essential part of serious family law reform.  The fact that you
> "get" this, and have made it the central idea of your advocacy, is
> the main reason that I am supporting you strongly.

> The reason, in my opinion, that most parents' advocates don't really
> get this as well, and that you haven't yet been joined by other
> parents willing to sacrifice as you are, is that most parents feel
> entitled to their parenthood.  That means that they believe that
> their right to parent 'should' be protected by the state -- even
> though it clearly isn't.

> I notice that you often write as if trying to convince people that
> we have a right to our children.  But I think most people already
> feel this, they already feel entitled to their children.  It's just
> that they, like someone who has purchased a stereo at a store,
> already feel entitled to their purchase: they don't want to pay for
> it again.  And so they just get angry when their right is denied.

> We are like a people who feel entitled to peace, and therefore lose
> it because we are unwilling to actually fight to maintain our
> peaceful land. Winston Churchill said the price of peace is eternal
> vigilance, i.e., eternal readiness to fight.  We don't want to fight
> for our kids, because we don't feel that we should have to, we think
> we are already entitled to them, and someone else should enforce our
> right.  And so as a result we don't really have the right.

> Entitlement is the problem, in my analysis, not our lack of a sense
> of our right to our children.

        I like what you say there about "entitlements" and why
        inaction happens.  I think people on the list will "get it."
        Especially about getting someone else to enforce the right for
        you -- everyone wants to go to Court, to get a Judge to give
        them their "rights".  It's really a novel idea!  Certainly,
        the American founding Fathers would not have thought of the
        Courts that way -- but of the legislature, where the will of
        the people is made known?

--- Daniel Lee <president@childsbestinterest.org>  "Action in Tennessee"

--- "Ken Wiebe" <kwiebe@fathers.bc.ca>    "From Canada, who cares?"

> You are absolutely right about personal sacrifice and the importance
> of civil disobedience. I too am puzzled by the non-actions of
> parents who do not do what is necessary to secure their right to
> parent, not mention the right of their children to have two active
> parents.

> I was in the offices of my member of parliament today, and his
> assistant made it quite clear that without numbers of people and
> petitions etc., nothing would improve. I stopped in because the
> federal government (Canada) is amending it's divorce legislation and
> I wanted to know if they were contemplating improvements in light of
> another father's suicide last month.  They didn't know about the
> suicide, and I got the feeling that they did not care.

> And maybe there is a lesson in that. Our elected officials don't
> care if their laws kill people, they care only about numbers and
> votes. What that means for us is something that I am still trying to
> figure out, but I think it shows that they will not respond
> favorably to small groups (or one person) protesting.

> I was in court last week with a friend, and a judge of the highest
> court in BC said (on the record) that people have rights until the
> government limits or removes those rights, which it could do
> whenever it likes in legislation.  I think this means that "parental
> rights" simply do not exist... and neither do any other rights. I
> guess what I am trying to say is that this is a much larger problem
> than most people realize, and very few care.

        Yes, it certainly seems that way.  But times can change when
        no one expects it.  Many people never expected segregation to
        changed in the Deep South in the US -- but within a matter of
        years it did.  A few people, acting with conviction, can start
        to move history.

---  BRIAN DUTCHER <bddutcher@yahoo.com>  "Violence the answer?"

> FROM MY EXPERIENCE WITH FAMILY LAW, THE ONLY THING THAT WILL GET
> ATTENTION AND RESULTS IS SOMEONE WITH A BOMB TAKING CONTROL OF A
> COURT HOUSE SOMEWHERE. LUCKILY FOR THE SYSTEM I CAN THINK THESE
> THOUGHTS WITHOUT ACTING ON THEM BECAUSE OF MY FEAR AND BELIEF IN
> GOD. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR EFFORTS TO CHANGE THE LAW THE SLOW WAY. YOU
> ARE DOING A GREAT SERVICE FOR ALL OF US FIGHTING THE GOOD BATTLE.

        Yes, I know what you mean.  Yes "violence" does work at times,
        but it can be at a tremendous cost to a lot of people.
        America is an independent nation because of a war
        (violence). But as you say, things like a bombing are just
        cowardist/terrorist -- they don't help at all.

        We have an easy win if just a few more folks will come forward
        and they will in time.

--- witzen@rcn.com    "Action speaks louder than words."

--- C H <parentsforreform@yahoo.com>     "What is sacrifice?  No need for jail."

--- MDSandifer@aol.com     "Be careful!"

--- THARPER001@aol.com    "A step-mom's perspective"

--- Ron Pfitzner <RPfitzner@aol.com>, Captain for American Airlines

---  ROBERT LASHEFF <dadstillherealways@yahoo.com>  "File law suit"

--- Tobieharley@aol.com

--- Ron <Citroencar@aol.com>   "What is sacrifice?"

> I still stand by my opinion that you are wasting your time with
> Clinton. After all, are we all supposed to be equals. If that were
> the case, she would have gladly seen you a long time ago. Unless
> your cause is in her best interest and can propel her political
> career, even if she did see you, nothing would be done.

           Yes, I agree on the politics. I would expect that attitude
and we need to get people to understand the issue.

> The family court system is a total mess. It has nothing to do with
> the best interest of the child, or the parent's right to be a
> parent. All it is, is a mechanism to redistribute money. It takes
> the money from the principle wage earner and redistributes it
> throughout the court system and it's network of highly trained
> parasites. At this point, the only way I can see any successful
> means of changing the Family Court system is for a collaborative
> effort to insure only non-attorneys be elected to office. The
> problem is, those who have felt the full wrath of the family court
> system and are best qualified to see it's corruption and
> inadequacies, are financially ruined to the point they can't afford
> it. Remember these are often the people who have been turned into
> the "slaves of the court". A person in this stature, who tries to
> improves things is looked upon as a slacker who should be providing
> for his children (AKA Family Court System). Sound familiar to you?

       Yes, I know what you mean.  But we have let it become that way,
       our apathy resulted in a lot of these laws being passed.  We
       didn't appreciate what a disaster it was till we got caught up
       in it (or at least I didn't).

> I too tried the sacrifice route, in addition to loosing my time with
> the kids (parental alienation) that will not be enforced by the
> judge, it has nearly ruined me financially. My only solace is the
> fact I exposed a corrupt judge and got him out of there, the ones
> who benefited from that were all the public that was spared his
> antics and greed, certainly not me. Since I blew the whistle on him,
> but I'm not covered by the whistle blower's act, I have been cannon
> fodder for the legal system.

  [follow up message below]