Events in Texas, Utah, and NY / Thoughts on Faith & Reform.

From: Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 14:29:41 EST

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People & People of Faith:

This message contains information on:

0. The Lighter Side - Fathers & Other NCP's.
1. Federal/Public Action in Texas - April 7
2. Utah declares both parents equally important - what about you?
3. Lobby Day in Albany, NY - April 1
4. Thoughts on Faith  - in the 21st century?

Editor's note - Our membership is about equally split between
Moms and Dads looking for reform and hopefully we are a cohesive
group.  We have a lot of events below sponsored by groups
with an emphasis on fathers (but which support inclusive membership).
We welcome you to send in activities from mom's groups working
for reform also.

0. The Lighter Side - Fathers & Other NCP's.
We did note one unusual bit of terminology at a web site below.
Membership was open to "fathers and other NCPs" (Non Custodial
Parents) -- Please help us out with this one.  If you are not a Father
and are a Non Custodial Parent -- doesn't that make you a mother?  Why
couldn't they just say that?

I'm sure it's not meant to exclude -- but, on the other hand, how many
of our "hunter-gatherer" friends would join a group open to "Mothers
and other NCPs"?

Seriously -- on something we think all the members of this group
appreciate.  The greatest weapon opponents of reform have is the
ability to raise the "hot button" issue of making this a mom v. dad
thing.  But if you want to fight the battle (enjoy the following):

Some  Men can't even stand to look at a scene of Mother and
Child happily together without some anger -- b$%tch!  And we're
sure many Women have experienced the same after seeing their child
"taken" by their former husband... abusive creeps!

Come on, admit it you Men, deep down, you KNOW you'd be the best
parent! After all, who's the big bad hunter-gatherer! Ladies, that
child came out of YOUR body -- their YOURS, after all possession is 9
tenths of the law! We're talking a biological reality here!

1. Federal/Public Action in Texas
---------------------------------
Submitted by: <MDSandifer@aol.com>
Contact James Loose at: <jameswloose@aol.com>

Submitted by: Roger Eldridge <eldridgeandco@eircom.net>

> SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - The House has approved a bill that would give
> fathers an equal chance with mothers in getting custody of their
> children during divorce hearings.

> House Bill 6 gives fathers and mothers equal access to their
> children during divorce hearings and calls for judges to give both
> parties equal consideration when assigning custody.

> Rep. Michael J.S. Thompson, R-Orem, proposed the legislation.  The
> current trend is to give mothers custody, but Thompson said men have
> an equal right to be with their children.

> Utah courts have ruled that automatically giving custody to the
> mother violates the 14th amendment, Thompson said.

> ''We must accept what the court says,'' he said. ''Children do need
> both parents.''

>  The bill passed the house with a 42-26 vote. It now moves to the >
>  Senate.

> www.trib.com/AP/wire_detail.php?wire_num=128905

3. Lobby Day in Albany, NY - April 1
---------------------------------
The following has to be one of the largest organized lobbying events
in the country for reform at the state level. If you live in New York,
or close to it, and want to get involved in reform -- it is an
excellent way to see lobbying in action and also meet a lot of people
from a wide variety of groups.  Check the email address below for
details:

Submitted by <dickins895@aol.com>

> The Coalition of Fathers and Families New York, Inc., is proud to
> sponsor this year's Legislative Education and Awareness Day in
> Albany, New York.  As in the past, this year's event will take place
> in the "well" of the Legislative Office Building on State Street,
> directly across from the Capitol, in downtown Albany.  It will begin
> at 9:00 a.m. and continue through until 4:00 p.m., with a press
> conference scheduled from 11:00 a.m. until noon.  The date is
> Tuesday, April 1st.

> L.E.A.D. is perhaps the single most important event of the year for
> non-custodial parents and their families.  It is your opportunity to
> meet with elected representatives, and to discuss your family
> related issues and concerns with them.  It is also your opportunity
> to let them know that your vote depends upon how willing they are to
> embrace and address those issues and concern.  Don't miss it!!!

> We need as many "bodies" this year as possible.  Any and all
> individuals and/or organizations are welcome and encouraged to
> participate.  If there was ever a legitimate and justifiable reason
> to take the day off from work to participate in a worthwhile
> activity, this is it.  Please put the date on your calendars, and
> just plan to be there.

4. Thoughts on Faith  - in the 21st century?

At our site we talk about NonViolent Action, a social movement
based on the Faith of its participants, (not just Christianity):
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm

Is that realistic?  As one person said, "Yes, all that stuff Gandhi
and King did was great.  But look at who followed them.  Very lower
class - no jobs to lose, not much to go home to anyway, very simple
minded people (superstitious).  Wake up. This is 2003 in America...  it
just won't happen here....  You are wasting your time."

What do you think?  Here are a few thoughts:

------------  From: Donald R Schindler <drjs@lycos.com>

-----------  Jack Jonassen <critterbytes@yahoo.com>

-------   From:  Mary Jo Marceau-Hawthorne <pr@AKidsRight.Org>

> [...]
> pain to destroy me physically and spiritually or should I practice
> my faith and strengthen it by letting what I can not control be
> God's concern and thus freeing me emotionally and physically to
> pursue the things I can control.  Fear can destroy and I must have
> Faith instead of fear, faith that God is in control.

> The world has always contained evil.  The evil that I see and you
> see in the Family courts, CPS/DSS, in our government, in our world
> and what hurts most of all in the judgmental nature of people
> supposedly doing Christian work.  This has all been true through out
> history and has never changed.  Only the names have changed.  Many
> good Christians strive to accept this as the opportunity to shine
> light in the darkness.  The challenge is to change hearts and save
> souls.  This is truly a challenge.  But we as Christians must
> because who else will do it?  No One. Many are called but few are
> chosen.  I think about what I have been called to do.

> It is very confusing sometimes.  I hope and pray and reassess what I
> am doing.  If God so loved the world that He sent is only son to die
> for us and bring us His forgiveness, how can we deny forgiveness to
> others.  When people hurt me it is hard to feel forgiveness for them
> but I know it is what Jesus would want us to do.  In the same sense
> I feel for the people affected by the hurt and pain others inflict
> on them, they need our example and support.  We also owe it to the
> others to create awareness and help them to avoid the pitfalls that
> sin can create, to the future victims as well as the future
> perpetrators.

> I know the looks are hard, they were for me.  Some times we just
> have to say, I am sorry you feel I am a monster.  I am certainly not
> a perfect person.  Let he who has never sinned throw the first
> stone.  Be confident in the truth you know.  You were there and know
> the truth, they were not.  I accept how they feel because my words
> can't change that but my deeds can.  We must be people of action,
> Christ like action.  Be confident of God's word in your heart and
> show the world you are.

> I know your first priority is your family and the stress created by
> the fear of your family being destroyed can destroy us all.  I try
> to have faith.  It is hard but what other choices do we have?  I
> enjoy each hour, day, week, and year I spend with my son.  After
> all, God has shown me the depths of his blessings and kept him close
> to me for now.  If I do loose him, I hope I can look back and say
> what great memories and not have those memories clouded by fear.
> Every thing is temporary in this world.  Only the next is forever.
> So, when I ask myself what is important I say the next world and the
> treasure that I put there.  Not here. Sometimes, I look at what God
> has given and reflect on the past.  This helps me face the future.
> He got us all this far.  I hope this helps.  God Bless you all.

--------------------
     I am getting ready to send the list message about Faith.
Yours is unique in that it mentions "evil". Can you give me some expansion
on this:

1. How do you define evil?
2. A specific example of someone you met in the Court/DSS who was
evil and what they did?
3. Do you include any of your past parenting to contain "evil"?
----------------------

> Evil is what people excuse as human nature.  Evil is the temptation,
> or the propensity to do intentional harm for what ever reason. Evil
> flourishes when good people do nothing to stop evil.  Evil can not
> exist without people.  It preys upon our wants and desires and lives
> in our fears.  Everyone is tempted and succumbs to evil.  Fighting
> evil is a constant battle, a battle for our souls.  When we succumb
> to evil we sin.  As people of faith we know we are all sinners.  As
> parents we sin, as wife's, as fathers, as children, as doctors, as
> lawyers, as social workers, ad infinitum.

> As Christians, We must be constantly vigilant against evil and the
> sin that can result as we must be constantly vigilant in protecting
> our liberties from terrorist attacks, individual attacks, or
> government attacks.  This maybe a little philosophical but it is my
> thoughts on the matter.  The type of sin that I see most often in
> dealing with all groups including the ones fighting for family
> rights is judgmental in nature.  If we can only overcome being
> judgmental, but everyone is guilty of this.  I include myself as
> everyone.

[Ed - obviously hard questions to answer on evil.  What has been your
experience?]