June 15th NPLC Meeting, July 28th Walk, Humility & Reform.

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 05:28:01 EDT

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

This message contains info on:
1. National PLC - meeting details.
2. JUDGE ALLOWING MY CHILD TO BE ABUSED, DRUGGED
     & BARBECUED - SEND HELP!
3. July 28th & Senator Clinton - Humility & let your actions speak.

1. National PLC - meeting details.
----------------------------------
The immediate event is a "get to know each other" meeting.  It is
scheduled between 12 and 1 PM on June 15th in Washington, DC.  We will
gather outside the Hirshhorn Museum at the intersection of Jefferson
Drive and 7th St. SW.  For complete details, directions, and cell
phone contact, check the web site at
http://www.nationalplc.org/events.htm -- I also look forward to the
chance to meet some of you in person there even if you are not
interested in the meeting (I'll be in the "mall" area all afternoon)!

2. JUDGE ALLOWING MY CHILD TO BE ABUSED, DRUGGED
    & BARBECUED - SEND HELP!
Okay, this is a serious topic and it appears we don't know how to
respond.  The message above is not real (a real one does follow), but
how many of you have seen messages similar to this on the internet?
Parents pleading for help AND blaming the Judge, Social Services,
former spouse for a crisis situation.  We can all understand the pain
these families are going through.  The pain is real, the indignity is
real, the trampling of rights is real -- but is "shreaking" and
perhaps exageration the answer?

If you believe your child is in a life threatening situation the moral
responsibility lies with YOU to act (which may call for real
sacrifice).  If YOU are afraid to act, unwilling to violate a "gag"
order that may land you in jail and cost you your job -- then how bad
was the situation in the first place?  It may be too late for your
child, are YOU willing to help others?  If YOU don't have the Faith
your actions will make a positive difference -- do you expect someone
else to care?

Some of this is our "victim mentality", we sit on the floor and yell
hoping someone will pick us up and make things better!  Certainly, the
'system' seems to respond to accusations.  I want to thank Karen for
the following and for her willingess to follow up to my curt message.

--- From Karen <jknatoli@frontiernet.net>

> Your "Essential List" is all well and good but euphoric!  "Society
> has the burden of proof that you are an unfit parent and
> demonstrated threat to the safety of your kids."

That is the goal and we sure aren't there yet.  Segregation seemed
like it was entrenched and going to last forever, but it finally
changed -- when people were ready to sacrifice for what they believed
in.  That is what we talk about with NonViolent Action.

> Again, sounds good but doesn't happen!  A natural father proved the
> natural mother of his (their) daughter violated an
> order-of-protection by leaving (their) daughter home with a SEX
> OFFENDER - HER HUSBAND!!!

> What did Judge Ronald Cicoria of Geneseo, New York in Livingston
> County do about it???  NOTHING!!!  He put a "gag" order on the
> father.  This Judge shut this father up to keep his constituents
> from learning HE placed a little girl in a home with a SEX
> OFFENDER!!!!  This father can't even warn other parents of the
> danger their daughters encounter when they spend nights under this
> criminal's roof!  The Mother???  She laughs.  She says she has the
> "system" in the palm of her hand.

I don't know what to make of this?  There is nothing stopping Dad from
standing with a sign right in front of the Court House.  There is a
big difference from "shouldn't" and "can't" -- he doesn't have to be
mean or nasty, just quiety proclaim the truth -- if he really believes
it and has Faith.

If this Father doesn't care that much about his own flesh & blood --
what can you honestly expect other people to do?  Yes, he violates the
"gag", he goes to jail, he loses his job -- but maybe he save his
daughter from a dangerous situation.  Or maybe he figures the
situation is not really that bad?

> March in DC?  Why???

Forgive me if this sounds severe, but you asked some serious questions
and you got a serious answer.  Many of us don't have that kind of
Faith to buck the system and are just afraid -- that is okay, life can
pile it on at times -- but let's not give all the blame to the Judge.
He is not the only one here trying to protect their job?

Actions speak louder than words and action is what it is going to take
to make reform a reality and that goal happen!  I welcome your further
thoughts on this.

---- Follow up message from Karen

> Please accept my apologies.  I struck out because I am angry.  This
> little girl is subjected to this dangerous situation daily and we
> feel powerless.  My husband and I could stand before the court house
> in protest, be thrown in jail, and loose our jobs but where does
> that leave "our" daughter?  No job, no income, and in jail certainly
> doesn't provide stability for an already confused, scared little
> girl.  The only stability and safety she feels is when she is with
> us.

> Our "system" only works for people who can pay it to work for them.
> We've been fighting this for greater than 3 years and have invested
> over $30,000.  Every time this mother walks in this court room she
> comes out smelling like a rose!  We, on the other hand, look like
> trouble makers.  We're made out to be causing heartache for this
> child.  The Judge told our lawyer to "shut us up" or he'd be harsher
> with his order than what was being asked.  Again, I'm sorry for
> striking out at you.  Karen Natoli Extremely frustrated wife and
> step mother!

Thanks for the message and I can only imagine what you are going
through and I certainly commend you for caring so much about your step
daughter.  Many people just don't believe this kind of stuff goes on
every day and just because you really care about your child you are
labelled a "problem" in court. I can really relate to that one!

I encourage you to keep Faith and keep trying to do the right thing
for your daughter. I do not envy your situation is all.  As bad as I
think mine is, yours is much, much worse.

3. July 28th & Senator Clinton - Humility & let your actions speak.
On July 28th I plan on returning to the Syracuse Federal Building to
quietly resume a walk outside the offices of Senator Clinton,
petitioning her for reform and a meeting with families hurt by our
system.  There is a Federal Magistrate who feels I will be violating
his order by doing that, I disagree and I welcome you to join me in that
effort.

              http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

Right now I have my son with me and we are enjoying just the first
week of a six week summer vacation together (I'm writing this message
at 4 in the morning while he is asleep!  I should have gotten this out
sooner, but was just to caught up in "playing" with him the last week.
Anyone can make reform happen, only I am the Father of my child).

I've often thought of the things that could have been done better, by
me.  Not a day goes by that I am not rude or impatient or unthoughtful
or lacking in Faith and confidence in the future.  But that is
okay. I'm only human. I'm really sorry, I haven't met any "Evil"
people in the system -- just more folks like myself.  This doesn't
excuse what they (or I) have done in the past, some of it is just
plain wrong.  But I do not make things better by demeaning myself or
others -- we all learn and improve.

It really made me think about those old lessons of "humility" and
awareness of our own "sins."  Boy, there is a word that you don't here
a lot -- sin.  What does it all mean for me? An awareness of the
things that "I" could have done better, of the pain to others that "I"
caused or failed to relieve.  The awareness of the "plank in my eye"
has helped make me more understanding of the "speck in my brother's
and sister's eyes."  How about you?

July 28th is a chance for me to positively demonstrate my Faith in
what I believe in.  That I love my child more than anything else in
the world and that the system that separated us is profoundly wrong
and needs to be changed immediately.  Believe me, I know the
"powerlessness" many of you have felt in facing the system and
watching your children's lives destroyed.  On the 28th you have a
chance to demonstrate your Faith and the power of a loving God.

I have to be quite honest, I'm amazed it has taken so long to get more
people involved in this effort. I'm really only looking for about
2 to 3 more mothers and fathers -- you'd think we would be pushing people
away!  Perhaps someday soon we will.