Large Rally in London & Official Hearings in Australia / Syracuse Update

From: AKidsRight.Org Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 13:44:28 EST

Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.

Good People & People of Faith:

This message contains information on:

1. Events in England - the 'Brits' demonstrate public action.
2. Hearings in Australia - what about Congressional hearings in the US?
3. Events in Syracuse - moving forward & making progress.

[We have a lot of people new to the list and perhaps the coverage
below needs some introduction.  Our group is made up of about equal
numbers of mothers and fathers who have been separated from their
children unjustly.  We are seeking to change that, not only by
reforming "divorce" law, but also "child protective" laws.  We do
report other activity and opinions and some are from "fathers" groups
-- we report, when available, from "mothers" groups also.  Hopefully, as
our movement matures, we will all see ourselves as "parents." - Ed.]

1. Events in England - the 'Brits' demonstrate public action.
Below we have some links and newspaper coverage.  There are some great
photos below -- especially of 'Batman & Robin.' From the amount of
activity this certainly seems like one of the largest "parenting"
justice events on the planet so far!  A lot of newspaper coverage
including the BBC. This effort was lead by "Fathers 4 Justice",
http://www.fathers-4-justice.org/

--- submitted by "Raymond Cuttill" <rcuttill@java45.freeserve.co.uk>
                    Roger Eldridge <eldridgeandco@eircom.net>

http://www.geewcee.com/F4J221003.htm  (Rally in London)

Nice page with some great pictures of the rally. Hard to believe they
got a "permit" to drive an actual tank through London! Note: the above
link has a scantily glad female at the top, scroll down for the
photos.  Also has some nice pictures of the family and the home page
has other news story links: http://www.geewcee.com/ .

In fact, following yesterday's Fathers-4-Justice protest in London, we
have seen unprecedented media attention to father's rights.  A number
of radio stations have covered it and there have been interviews with
F4J members.  Newsnight, a BBC nightly news programme, last night had
extracts from the protest, an interview with Matt O'Connor (founder,
http://www.fathers-4-justice.org/), a woman's aid woman, a family law
solicitor (lawyer) who had been targeted by the F4J Decontamination
Squad and Lord Filkin, minister for constitutional affairs.

This is probably the first time a minister has been interviewed on TV
about father's rights.  The minister spoke about how complicated it
was, the women's aid women talked about abusive fathers (Matt pointed
out they are campaigning for rights for good fathers) and the
solicitor spoke about being intimidated and suggested that there were
other father's groups who had put fathers rights on the political
agenda .  It sounded like they'd all like it to go away and the
fathers should go back to writing letters to the media and their MPs
for the next 10-20 years. Sounds like a good plan to me.

--- http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_830806.html  (Batman & Robin)

Eddie Goldtooth and Jolly Stanesby, members of the pressure group
Fathers for Justice, scaled the side of the court building in The
Strand just after 4am.

Group spokesman Glen Poole said the men were calling themselves "the
caped crusaders for justice". He said they were hoping to draw
attention to the group's campaign to ensure divorced fathers were
given proper access to their children.

The men intend to remain on top of the Royal Courts of Justice for a
week and had taken food, clothes and bedding with them, he added. Mr
Poole said the stunt was the start of a campaign by the group of
"civil disobedience" against the court system across the UK.

A Scotland Yard spokesman confirmed that two men dressed as Batman and
Robin were on the roof of the courts. "We are monitoring the situation
and trying to persuade them to come down," he said.
--- http://www.fathercare.org/batmen.htm

--- http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/3212448.stm (story
below)

Last Updated: Wednesday, 22 October, 2003, 16:06 GMT 17:06 UK
Rally over fathers' rights [Including Batman & Robin - Ed.]

The group says 2,000 people took part in the protest on Wednesday

A group calling for a change in the way fathers are treated in family
courts have held a rally in central London. Fathers 4 Justice organized
the demonstration on Wednesday as part of its campaign of civil
disobedience across the UK. It wants divorced fathers to be given proper
access to their children.

Michael Cox, the group's legal adviser, claimed 2,000 people took part
in the protest but police said only 350 gathered in Trafalgar Square
before marching to Temple Place via the Royal Courts of Justice and
Lincoln's Inn Fields. The rally follows a costumed roof-top protest at
the Royal Courts of Justice which began on Tuesday.

Campaigners Jolly Stanesby, from Ivybridge, Devon, and Eddie Goreckwi, from
Romford, Essex, who are dressed up as Batman and Robin, are into the second
day of their week-long protest.

Mr Cox said: "We were marching today to draw attention to the fact the
family courts are failing to act in the best interests of our children.
"We want a legal presumption of contact. As parents men don't have a
right to see their children following a divorce or separation.

"All they have is a right to apply to court to see their children but
the courts are institutionally biased against the father.  Fathers are
reduced to pleading with the mother to see their children."

Previous action by campaigners includes painting the doors of court welfare
offices purple - the international colour of equality.

--- Dave Ellison <mad-dogs@ntlworld.com>

> When that tank came into view, jolly and i looked at each other, we
> were amazed, then we saw the happy bus with music then the countless
> supporters waving and shouting, i was emotionally overcome, jolly and
> i were lost for words, we agreed though on what we could see was, we
> are a powerful force to be reckoned with,

> WE WILL CHANGE THIS CORRUPT FAMILY LAW SYSTEM, AND WE SHALL
> CHANGE IT TOGETHER...SOON!

2. Hearings in Australia - what about Congressional hearings in the US?
Submitted by: Roger Eldridge <eldridgeandco@eircom.net>

SA Parliament Establishes Select Committee Inquiry into the Status of
Fatherhood.

The Honourable Andrew Evans MLC successfully passed a motion
establishing a South Australian Legislative Council Select Committee
into the Status of Fatherhood last night (Wed 21 October 2003).

This Inquiry has the following Terms of Reference:-

I. That a Select Committee of the Legislative Council be appointed to
investigate and report upon:-

(a) The status of fathers in South Australia by reference to the current
level of recognition of their role in family formation and child rearing
and in the support given to them by the public and private sectors and
the community in general;

(b) The current difficulties facing fathers in South Australia from an
economic, social and financial perspective in the formation and
maintenance of the family unit;

(c) The nature and availability of government and non-government support
and services for fathers in crisis in SA.

II. That standing order 389 be suspended as to enable the chairperson of
the committee to have a deliberative vote only.

III. That this council permits the select committee to authorize the
disclosure or publication, as it thinks fit, of any evidence or
documents presented to the committee prior to such evidence being
presented to the council.

IV. That standing order 396 be suspended as to enable strangers to be
admitted when the select committee is examining witnesses unless the
committee otherwise resolves, but they shall be excluded when the
committee is deliberating.

The Committee has a reporting deadline of 3 December 2003, and will be
taking submissions and evidence over the coming weeks.

The Select Committee consists of the following members:-

The Hon. Carmel Zollo MLC (ALP)
The Hon. John Gazzola MLC (ALP)
The Hon. John Dawkins MLC (LP)
The Hon. Michelle Lensink (LP)
The Hon. Kate Reynolds MLC (Dem)

Details of where to send submissions will be forwarded as soon as the
Select Committee has met and determined their hearing schedules.

This is a progressive move here in South Australia and should be warmly
welcomed by our members. Hansard of Legislative Council debate on the
issue will be distributed as soon as they become available later today.

Further information can be obtained from:-

The Hon Andrew Evans MLC
Legislative Council
Parliament House
North Terrace
Adelaide SA 5000
Tel: (08) 8237 9122
Email: famiyfirst@parliament.sa.gov.au

Regards,

Geoffrey Greene
Federal Director

Shared Parenting Council of Australia
PO Box 105
Stepney SA 5069
Tel: (08) 8261 5191
Mob: 0422 269 200
Email: secretariat@spca.org.au
Web: www.spca.org.au

3. Events in Syracuse - moving forward & making progress.
We are happy to report some progress:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

* After sending a FAX to the Washington "scheduling" office of Senator
Clinton (fax: 202-228-0121).  John then followed up with a phone call to
Lona Valmoro, a senior advisor to the Senator who coordinates her
schedule (tel: 202-224-4451).  While he did not get to talk to Ms. Valmoro,
it was clear the Senator's staff is aware of our group and our goal
of a meeting.

You are all encouraged to send a polite letter to Ms. Valmoro at the
fax number above.  By your love for your kids, help her to convince
the Senator to make time to meet with parents.  Then take a few
minutes and follow up with a personal phone call.  It will become an
important issue for them -- when it becomes an important issue for us.

* John Murtari will go on trial at 10 am on Friday, Nov. 7th, at the US
Court House for the Northern District of New York, Hanley Federal
Building, Syracuse. He has been appointed counsel. You are welcome to
attend.

He is facing a 6 count complaint for separate incidents of "trespass"
outside of Senator Clinton's local offices, each can carry a 15 day
sentence -- the "worst case" scenario is 90 days of jail time. The
Judge said that he would be ready to sentence John that day to jail
(if found guilty).

For John the immediate jail sentence is a "good thing", he has plane
tickets to pick up his son on December 17th for a 10 day Christmas
vacation -- and is 'hoping' for a 30-35 day sentence.  Why do these
things always seem to happen around the holidays?

* PLEASE understand, John is not being "trampled" by our legal system.
Both the US Magistrate and the US Attorney's office have just about
bent over backwards to avoid prosecution.  They are frustrated since
they just can't get John to stop.  This is a 'political' matter, we
think everyone understands that if just a few more parents would join
in the effort -- we would get that meeting with Senator Clinton.  We
hope that time will be soon....