[AKidsRight.Org] NPR/California Supreme Court on Relocation / Letter from Lowell Jaks / Superheroes in Canada?

From: AKidsRight.Org Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 19:42:34 EDT

This is a message from the AKidsRight.Org mailing list.  Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.
=======================================
Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains info on:
1. National Public Radio - drive time story on relocation of parents.
2. More words from "super heroes" in Canada - about EQUAL parenting.
3. Write to Lowell Jaks - a parent in jail.

1. National Public Radio - drive time story on relocation of parents.
Many of you may have heard the following story on the radio yesterday.
We encourage you to follow the link below to the NPR site where you
can actually hear the audio of the story.  There are also links to the
Court decision for you legal folks!

[ MOST IMPORTANTLY - listen to the "sound bites" of the opposing views.
Whether it is from Divorce or Child Protective Services action, when
the "system" steps into your family life the "losing" parent is always
presented as someone who does not care, who has a "tenuous"
relationship with their child....  You can SAY you care about your
kids till your blue in the face, but as they say "actions speak louder
than words."   In our last message we gave you the story of Spiderman,
a parent who climbed a crane and risked jail -- just to demonstrate how
much he loved his daughter and wanted more contact with her!
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archives/archive2004/0020.html

You'll here a lot about "best interest of the child" -- let's all try
to remember.  That is up to YOU as parents, until you are proven unfit
(as we are reminded in #2 below). ]

"A California Supreme Court ruling turns years of child-custody case
law on its head.  Traditionally, the custodial parent, often the
mother, had broad discretion to make decisions for the children,
including where they would live. But the state's high court has
informed custodial parents that they risk losing their children if
they try to relocate. NPR's Elaine Korry reports."

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1918575

2. More words from "super heroes" in Canada - about EQUAL parenting.