[AKidsRight.Org] Working to meet Senator Clinton / Jail time Friday / FAQ

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 13:21:20 EDT

This is a message from the AKidsRight.Org mailing list.  Unsubscribe instructions at bottom of message.
=======================================
Good People & People of Faith,

I'm glad to be able to write this today.  After being 'pushed' away
from the Syracuse Federal Building so many times I decided to remain
outside the building yesterday for my scheduled trial on earlier
arrests.  It was nice to have some company. Diane Burns and Tony
Sprout made a long drive from Ohio to be there and we got to talk for
a while.  They also visited the office of Senator Clinton and left a
message of support.

I was tried 'in absentia' and found guilty on all four counts of
simple 'trespass'.  I am scheduled to be sentenced this Friday (Sep
24) at 11 AM and expect from 4 weeks to 4 months of jail.  As for any
of us it could have serious consequences in my work and personal
life.  For full details and copies of documents see:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/actionc_syr

I certainly appreciate those of you who have sent kind words of
support and taken the time to either visit the building to talk with
me or sent messages to the offices of Senator Clinton (I have
repeated their contact info at the end of this message).  Each of you
that makes your presence felt adds a layer of 'teflon' for my
protection and I am VERY appreciative. Thank you!

Friday, Sep 24, I will again be outside the building at 10 AM.  I
would welcome your presence and the chance to talk in person.  You
also have the opportunity to stop by the office of Senator Clinton
and express your support for reform. If you plan on coming let me
know -- my contact info is below also.

Frequently Asked Questions
--------------------------
Recently I've had a lot of people ask some good, basic questions
about what is going on and why.  It helped me to think about those
answers and I welcome your feedback as you look through the items.

* Isn't Family Law a state issue?  Shouldn't you be visiting your
* state legislators or out in front of the your local courthouse?

As a group we feel parenting our own children is one of the GREAT
rights we have as people.  It is perhaps even more fundamental than
our well recognized freedoms of speech, religion, etc..  The only
reason it was not recognized and protected in our Federal
Constitution was the lack of need -- those times have now changed.
It requires National recognition and protection.

We all know our individual states have different Criminal codes and
procedures.  But whatever the state you have a presumption of
innocence, a right to counsel, and the protection a jury from our
Federal Constitution.

* That all sounds great, but I know a lot of lawyers who disagree.
* Does anyone back up your claim?

Mr. Chester Darling (Massachusetts) - An experienced Constitutional
attorney who has argued and won cases in the U.S. Supreme Court. He
presents a powerful speech about the issues of "rights" and how our
present system of Family Law is out of control. He is the leader of
Citizens for the Preservation of Constitutional Rights, Read more
about "rights" at http://www.julyfourth.net/

* What's your goal? Isn't this going to cause even more interference
* in Family Life?

No, just like our 'Bill of Rights', the purpose of a Family Rights
Act is to create a 'wall' between government and your family.  In
order for government to cross that wall and start issuing 'orders'
regarding your contact with your children you have these protections.

- The right to counsel.
- A presumption of being a fit parent and deserving of EQUAL parenting.
- The protection of a Criminal Jury.

To cross the 'wall', government must first prove you are guilty of a
crime against your children.  That with malintent you were a
demonstated serious threat to the safety of your kids.

To read a draft act, http://www.AKidsRight.Org/act.htm

* What is all this stuff about NonViolent Action?  Isn't it the same
* as writing letters or a peaceful demonstration?

No, it is very different. It is a belief that voluntary personal
sacrifice can be very powerful in bringing about social change.  It
is the method practiced most recently by Gandhi and King, for full
details see http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm

We have all suffered greatly by losing contact with our children,
that was forced upon us.  NonViolent action is based on acts of
voluntary sacrifice that physically demonstrate how strongly we love
our children.  There is NO demonstration of anger toward opponents.

* So what's all this go to do with Senator Clinton and walking in a
* Federal Building hallway?  Black people demonstrated by sitting in
* the front of the bus.  Whey don't you do something more focused?

As a Member of Congress Senator Clinton can call for a Congressional
Inquiry into the need for reform (this is the first step).  She is
obviously 'the' person in Congress on Family issues.  Getting her
personal attention would help bring National interest and discussion.
It would also open the doors to other Members of Congress.

Some people suggest violating support orders or trying to 'take' your
children.  Those avenues do NOT work in bringing public sympathy.
Our present approach involves carrying pictures of parents and
children separated by the system in areas where there is a risk of
arrest.  It is something even ONE parent can do.

* Don't you know the Senator doesn't care about reforming family
* law.  She likes it this way!

No matter how you may feel about her. Let us all remember Senator
Clinton is a VERY good politician and wants to be President.  If we
can't get enough public support to convince her Family Reform is
important -- what does that say about the reform effort?  We need to
'move' people in this country to rethink Family rights and I'm sure
she'll want to be on the right side of the issue.  Do we expect her
to take 'action' before we do?

What do you think about these items?

Best regards!
--
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org                "A Kid's Right to BOTH parents"

==========================
Please send a fax or make a phone call to the Senator's offices both
in Washington and Syracuse.  They are paying attention to what is
going on here. The Senator is a member of the Senate Subcommittee on
Children and Families.
http://labor.senate.gov/committee_members.html#ChildrenFamiles

You don't have to be a resident of New York to call her offices.

Syracuse Local rep, Cathy Calhoun,
tel: 315-448-0470, fax: 315-448-0476

Washington Scheduling Office, Lona Valmoro (Senior Advisor to the Senator),
tel: 202-224-4451, fax: 202-228-0121

Most of all, you don't have to express anger. Just let her staff know
that you care about Civil Rights protection for families and the
Senator should meet with parent's groups regarding the need for
National reform...  Let them know being a parent is one of our
GREATEST rights. It needs official recognition and protection.

If you take the time to send a fax, try to send copies to the Judge
and US Attorney (also email us a copy or tell us about your phone
conversation).  Let them know you care.

Honorable Gustav J. DiBianco
US Magistrate Judge
RE: United States v. Murtari