[AKidsRight.Org] Politics of Reform: NY Times Story & Sen. Clinton and Warren Farrell on ABC's 20/20 (May 27)

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Tue May 24 2005 - 11:06:58 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

I wanted to follow up on the Politics of Reform message we ran last
week. How does the media report on the 'reform' effort and what can
we do to make our best effort?  What is our message?

We have a copy of the major NY Times story at our web site (you won't
have to register to read it!). The whole text is there and it has
been highlighted to call attention to some of the questions we asked
earlier. Go to: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/e_fathers_crusade.htm

I also got a message from Lloyd Gorling, http://www.ex-fathers.org/,
<kalypso@glen-net.ca>, which contained a message from the well known
writer on gender issues, Warren Farrell <warren@warrenfarrell.com> :

> Finally! ABC's 20/20 will be airing the "Myth Breaker" special on
> me and my new book, 'Why Men Earn More: The Startling Truth Behind
> the Pay Gap -- and What Women Can Do About It'.  It's next Friday,
> May 27, 2005, at 10 pm Eastern and Pacific, 9 pm Central.

> Hillary Clinton and Martha Burk will present the "Women are
> discriminated against" side, and I will present why that is largely
> a myth, and why that myth works against women. I am told by the
> producer, that it's an extremely exciting piece.

The show will not be on children's issues, but it will useful in
seeing how Senator Clinton presents herself and how they present
Mr. Farrell's response.

The NY Times Article - not a positive outlook?
It was a mixed bag.  I personally was touched by the stories that
described the pain these people have been through and the courage
they had to take action.  I was disappointed by the 'angry men' in
Boston and the lack of a clear goal.  I was disappointed that the
focus on men was making the issue a mom v. dad conflict. The ending
of the article made reform sound very, very far away....

The product we are selling is NOT Father's/Men's Rights
We have said this before, if 'reform' was your product, how would
you get the most people into your store?  By just saying it's a
Father's issue!?  Half of AKidsRight.Org members are moms who
have been mistreated by the system.  What about the 'accused' child
abusers -- that have seen social workers walk into their home and
take their kids on a 'hunch'?

What is the common thread here?  They are all PARENTS whose CHILDREN
were hurt by a SYSTEM that has failed to recognize and protect our
GREAT CIVIL RIGHT to presumption of 'fitness' and EQUAL parenting.
The protection of a JURY of your peers before government interferes
in your family.

I would like to see people brought together from all these groups
and work together with that goal in mind.

A Positive Speech to 'parents' from Dr. Martin Luther King
Read the following speech about 'rights' and a 'movement' from
Dr. King (more material at: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm)

It talks about segregation, but I think most of as parents can relate
to the feelings on injustice and indignity expressed here.  Also pay
attention to what he does NOT say.  Could anyone disagree with these
sentiments?  What would be your speech in just a few paragraphs?
Please reply and we can share it with others.

==========

    "We are American citizens, and we are determined to acquire or
    citizenship to the fullness of its meaning . . . We are here
    because we are determined to get the situation corrected . .(he
    reviewed how blacks were treated by the system) . . But here
    comes a time when people get tired. We are here this evening to
    say to those who have mistreated us so long what we are tired --
    tired of being segregated and humiliated; tired of being kicked
    about by the brutal feet of oppression.

    We have no alternative but to protest . . . we come here tonight
    to be saved, to be saved from patience that makes us patience
    that makes us patient with anything less than freedom & justice
    . . (he spoke of the threats of division and apathy to the
    movement) . I want to say that in all of our actions we must
    stick together. Unity is the great need of the hour, and if we
    are united we can get many of the things that we not only desire,
    but which we justly deserve.

    If we are wrong, the Supreme Court of this nation is wrong. If we
    are wrong, the Constitution of the United States is wrong . . .If
    we are wrong, Jesus of Nazareth was merely a Utopian dreamer who
    never cam down to earth. If we are wrong, justice is a lie.

    In our protest there will be no cross burnings. No white person
    will be taken from their home by a hooded Negro mob and brutally
    murdered. There will be no threats and intimidation. We will be
    guided by the highest principles of law and order . . . our
    actions must be guided by the deepest principles of our Christian
    faith. Love must be our regulating ideal. . . .

    Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, and pray for them
    that use you. If we fail to do this our protest will end up as a
    meaningless drama on the stage of history, and its memory will be
    shrouded with the ugly garments of shame. . . (when the history
    books are written) . . . There lived a race of people, of black
    people, of people who had the moral courage to stand up for their
    rights. And thereby they injected a new meaning into the veins of
    history and civilization."
===========

Coming together for a Common Goal - EQUAL Parenting
I sometimes get confused when a 'small' reform step like a
presumption of shared parenting gets passed in a state.  Are those
people still looking for 'equal' parenting with strong protections?
Some people want changes in the child abuse laws that allow a 'hunch'
to separate them from their kids -- but if they are a single parent,
they still don't want EQUAL parenting with their 'abusive' spouse
(even though it couldn't be proved - trust me?).

Perhaps this brings out the fact that many groups don't have the same
'long term' goals and we really need to get that straightened out. Do
you still want to have a Judge decide the "child's best interest?"

Remind Ourselves - AKidsRight.Org
---------------------------------
For those  of you who are members of the group, from our goals page,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm

GOAL
----
Many of us talk about the right to be with our kids. But what we are
really saying is there ought to be a "significant barrier" the system
has to cross before they can interfere with our family life.

We are not looking for MORE laws, but protection.  That before the
"system" can interfere with you and your children you have:

1) The right to counsel.

2) The right to be presumed innocent and deserving of an equal
relationship with your kids.

3) The right to protection of a jury.  The "state" needs to prove you
were a demonstrated serious and intentional threat to your child.

METHOD
------
We have held up the ideal that people willing to demonstrate: Faith,
Love, and Personal Sacrifice can be the means of effective social
change. More specifically, that Parents can promote Family Law reform
by demonstrating:

1) Faith in a loving God,

2) Love for their children, former spouses, and other "brothers and
sisters", and

3) Willingness to make Personal Sacrifice,

NonViolent Action allows you to demonstrate through "unambiguous
physical action" the depth of your Faith and belief in your "cause."
It is a positive demonstration of love given at sometimes tremendous
personal cost.

What do you think?