[AKidsRight.Org] Legislative Activity - CA, CT, IL, MI, NH, NY, TN / Resources

From: AKidsRight.Org Webmaster (webmaster@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Thu Feb 16 2006 - 12:11:14 EST

Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains items on legislative activity and reform by
other parent's groups.  We'd be happy to announce special events to
our list (over 5000 members), submission form at
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/events.htm:

1. Central Collection of Family Law Reform Legislation
2. A Map for Reform Activists - find those near you.
3. Making a Difference
4. Join Lobbying in Connecticut - Feb 22
5. Organizing in Illinois - join me.
6. News Story from New Hampshire - summary on shared parenting.
7. PAS & HAP Awareness effort - Apr 25
8. Activity in New York - more sponsors for reform.
9. Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Tennessee - March 9-12
10. California Share Parenting Ballot Initiative - deadline Feb 20
11. Organizing in Michigan

1. Central Collection of Family Law Reform Legislation
--- Ron Jagannathan <ron.jagannathan@gmail.com>

> This url lists shared parenting bill texts proposed in the U.S.
> Feel free to use/download.

> http://fathersforvirginia.org/legislationbystate/va/otherbills/billslist.htm

> If you know of any proposed bill that you would like to be listed
> here, let us know.

2. A Map for Reform Activists
--------------------------
--- Mona Lena <mona_lena_usa@yahoo.com>

>   I would like to see you join "The map", please!

>   http://www.frappr.com/familylawreformadvocatesandactivists

3. Making a Difference
-------------------
--- dad2kkec@nestegg4u.ws

... The interview then went over the same ground as my ex's (recent
Politics degree) training to part of the campaign group that
successfully changed local government policy:

1. The most effective lobby is the handwritten physically posted
(snail mail) letter.  This demonstrates a high level of commitment to
the issue and is very unusual;

2. Next most effective lobby is the printed letter, less effective
because it is so easy to copy, paste and print, and most households
have a computer now.  The process of printing and posting demonstrates
some commitment to the issue;

3. Next effective means is the email, directly or from their website.
These are read and acted on, but because it is so easy they do not
demonstrate such a high level of commitment to the issue.  Again the
risk of copy, paste, or forward.  Individuality is therefore
important;

4. Relevant expert support, especially backed up by research, of
little value without substantial support from those affected by the
issue.

Physical theatrical (fun or dramatic) demonstrations are good for
gaining media profile, and a useful part of campaigning especially at
times and the location where the issue is on the agenda, eg council
meeting, but much less effective than the above, and can be an
impediment to the issue unless backed up by the above.  Petitions are
useful at certain stages of the process, for example of a planning
decision is considering a small number of options, or some other
decision, or online in response to an article.

The most important aspect of achieving a change of policy is the
'democratic pressure', the volume of lobbying correspondence, media
coverage,  supporting expert evidence and similar.  Assertions that a
particular issue has been proven are of no value unless the view is
widely expressed, or expressed by concerned academics....

--- tom burt <burt3316@yahoo.com>

> I got frustrated yesterday ......I miss my Little girl so
> much......so I got on the records database @ yahoo....and looked @
> all the Senators that were Either NO votes.....or weren't Listing a
> Response....

> It's hard not 2 treat these people with contempt......how could U in
> good faith NOT become a co-sponsor.....it is a very basic
> Premise......Equal Time with Both Parents.....

> Well so far ....I called 6 different legislators in my area.....and
> the ONLY one 2 respond was Bill Larkin.....we spoke and he said he
> would get back 2 me....

> well he did....and He spoke with Senator Johnson and Senator Meyers
> and some other Attorneys and he feels that this is something that
> should B pushed through.....

> I may B just a hopeful romantic.....but just getting a call back
> from one of the listed Senators......is something I had never
> expected.....

> ( I 'm Sorry the Senator is a very busy man....and he has your
> number.....Well I am a very Busy Man as well.....and I don't like 2
> B "Fluffed"....so get used 2 me calling every FN day if I have 2
> until Mr. Busy calls me back )......

> Well I just wanted 2 mention this so that anyone who feels that they
> cannot make some sort of a differance.....THINK AGAIN !!!!!

> DO IT......DO IT NOW.....CALL.....CALL....CALL.....B NICE.....KNOW
> YOUR TOPIC......THIS IS SOMETHING U FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT.....Let them
> know that "IF THEY R NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION.....THEY R PART OF THE
> PROBLEM !!!!"

Thanks for the message.  I'll pass it on, so many people complain but
don't really do anything to work for change.  Although what you say:
"IF THEY R NOT PART OF THE SOLUTION.....THEY R PART OF THE PROBLEM
!!!!"  -- might apply to parents also?

4. Join Lobbying in Connecticut
-------------------------------
Submitted by: "Mike Franco" <mv-franco@peoplepc.com>

Please also join us at the Second Annual Legislative Awareness Day at
the State Capitol, Hartford, Wednesday, Feb. 22, 9:00-5:00 p.m.
Information booths on the "Concourse" between the Capitol and the
L.O.B.  Also, there will be a Paternal Rights Forum in the Old
Judiciary Room from 11:00-5:00 p.m.  Speakers include Mark Roseman of
the Children's Rights Council and Christopher Kennedy of the CT. Civil
Rights Council.  For more information, contact John DiBiase of Meriden
at 1-203-379-7772 or 1-203-630-1338, or by e-mail at
jdibiasejr@aol.com.

5. Organizing in Illinois
----------------------
--- Liz Pfeifer <Seabeelover2@aol.com>

> My name is Liz Pfeifer and I am trying to establish an organization
> here in Champaign, Illinois with respect to Shared Parenting. Our
> efforts consist of reaching out to local representatives and to
> start getting statewide support to help change the laws that are
> currently being enforced in the State of Illinois.

> I was perusing the Internet after speaking with a physician in
> Quincy, Illinois about his efforts and found your website. I am very
> interested in getting my name put on your website as someone who is
> willing to support your organization and to receive mailings in the
> future.

> I look forward to hearing from your organization and to start
> working together with others to see changes start to happen.

6. News Story in New Hampshire
------------------------------
Submitted by: Marc S. <atk406@gmail.com>

http://www.wirenh.com/Features/Cover_Stories/equal_access_200602151093.html

7. PAS & HAP Awareness effort
---------------
Submitted by: Sarvy Emo <aloe4806@hotmail.com>

Date-Time::	April 25th, 2006
Location::	North America Wide
Web-Site::	http://www.hostile-aggressive-parenting.com/

what PAS is and what HAP is, and how damaging it is to children. We plan to get
as many articles into local newspapers as possible. We hope to do this in a non-
gender biased way. PAS and HAP affect both parents, but most of all they effect
the children!!

Write an article or two to the local newspaper about what PAS and HAP are and
the dangers to children. Maybe write a letter to a loved child you have and
submit it to the paper to publish. Let's show the world what all this about,
you'd be surprised how many people have no idea it exists. And let's show the
world that we love our kids!

If we all just submit 1 letter or article, can you imagine the impact we will
make!! Please keep the anger out of the articles and letter, and aim to educate
the public, and show your love. Anger breeds more anger.

8. Activity in New York
--------------------
Submitted by: Arte Miastkowski <arte_miastkowski@yahoo.com>

I have some outstanding news to report. After a meeting last week with
Sr staff for both the Dems and Repubs and after conversations with
several assembly members we have added 6 count-em 6 co-sponsors to the
Shared parenting bill. See below an Albany Times Union story as well.

I am also happy to report that the leadership on both sides of the
aisle ( Dems and Repubs) are reaching out to us. Simply put folks we
have hit several home runs in the past weeks. Our issues are by far
THE hottest topic at the Capital and they are scared VERY scared
because they know we have mobilized.

But we need to take it to the next level. We need to strike while the
iron is hot. It is absolutely imperative everyone starts reaching out
to as many legislators as possible. Don't waste time on those we
already have answers from. Go to the database section in the yahoo
group. Look it over -you will see a bunch of unknowns - THOSE ARE THE
ONES TO REACH OUT TO. I have assurances that if we have enough yes
votes THEY WILL put it to the floor for passage.

Please pick up the phone, write a letter, send a fax do whatever but
START MAKING CONTACTS. If your in or near Albany go to the LOB and
meet with them. If your too distant then contact your local
legislators and meet them in their district offices. EVERY PERSON we
add to the list brings us one step closer.

the goal is to have the vote on Shared Parenting on LEAD day May
9th. For us to bring that about they need to hear from EVERYONE
starting today. If we all don't step up all this momentum will be
lost.

so as always - WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO AND WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DO
IT.

link to sponsors:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A330

link to article in todays TU

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=450061&category=STATE&newsdate=2/13/2006

9. Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Tennessee
Submitted by:  "gunrunner532002" <clark@global101.com>
http://krightsradio.com/thelistwk.php

You may or may not have heard yet but a plan is in place to hold a
demonstration and possibly a march in Memphis Tennessee during the
Republican party southern conference/convention, with 26 states
represented. this will be a national media event lasting for 4 days.

Dr Mark Klein a parental rights and court corruption activist will be
testing the waters for a possible run at the presidency in the 2006
election. He is supporting a major effort to conduct this peaceful
public demonstration in support of our efforts.

We need to get the word out and spread it far and wide to get the
largest turn out possible for this media event taking place during the
days of march 09 and 12, 2006 in Memphis Tennessee,

Dr. Mark Klein is coordinating his efforts with Krightsradio
http://www.krightsradio.com/

The California Governor will be there along with other notables from
26 states and all of the national media will be covering this event.
People we can not Buy this much free publicity for our cause, we
have to develop a tremendous turnout for this event. Please spread
the word far and wide and let us all show up in force for the
largest peaceful demonstration this country has ever seen. This is a
tremendous opportunity we can not pass up. Car pool if you have to
but get there, for 4 days of opportunities to get national media
coverage,the bigger the better and the more impact it will have.

Our kids are counting on us, make the sacrifice and get there. We
need ever individual we can get, remember it has to remain peaceful
or it is all for nothing. Lets show them NCPs are good people and we
deserve fair and equal treatment and decent honest rulings. We can
put the courts on trial if we do this correct and do it in the
nations media. Bring an appropriate sign or banner. This is our big
chance don't blow it.

It would be great to have some names like Pierce Brosman and Bruce
Willis there, Hint Hint. We need all the help we can get, the best
thing anyone can do is show up and give your support by making this
the biggest demonstration ever. FOR THE KIDS

10. California Shared Parenting Ballot Initiative
--- "Mike Mates" <mike_mates@hotmail.com>  http://www.childsright.org/

Here in California, we are gathering signatures for a November 06
ballot imitative that will modify the family law code so that in a
divorce, good parents, "fit" parents, will automatically be granted
equal parenting time. Yesterday, I went out with my 7 year old son to
collect signatures. When I told him what I would be doing, he was quit
excited and insisted that he wanted to go with me. We collected about
10 signatures, much less than what I wanted, but, don't be
misled&nbsp; by the total number. Of all the doors we knocked on where
someone answered, only one person said no. All of the others
signed!&nbsp; This clearly indicates to me that the people support
family law reform.

Unfortunately, we probably will not collect the required ~350,000
signatures. There are two reasons.

1) We do not have enough volunteers to collect signatures.

2) We don't have sufficient money to pay signature gatherers.
Typically, it cost between $200,000 and $300,000 to get an initiative on
the ballot. That is because the initiative proponents hire signature
gatherers. I'm sharing this information because I believe that what we
need is more Sacrifice, as you have&nbsp;stated.  When you breakdown
what we need to get this initiative on the ballot, it seems so
simple. If we collect 411,000 raw signatures, they will not be
validated to determine if they are legitamate. That means we need 411
people to collect 1,000 signatures each...or 811 to collect 500 ...or
1000 people to collect 411 signatures. Where are the 411 people? In
all the state of California, we can't get 411 people who believed
strongly enough about family law reform to get off their duffs and >
make it happen? We do have, as I am told, about half that number. But
where are all the other people? Surely there are 411 Mothers and
Fathers who have been abused by the system, who are willing to
sacrifice and make a change.  I took $1,000 out of my meager savings
and sent it to the petition organizers to hire paid signature
gathers. I will be out at my local mall next Saturday for 8 hours
gathering signatures. I will be at another location on Sunday. I sent
an email to all members of the California state assembly yesterday
evening about the initiative and the need for family law reform.  If
anyone out there reading this is in California, you have an obligation
to help get this initiative on the ballot. In many ways, California
leads the nation. If California were to enact family law reform, there
is no doubt other states will look to California as > the leader when
addressing family law reform.

11. Organizing in Michigan
----------------------
---  Brett Frye <brett@frcmi.org> & Mike Ross <mtross152@comcast.net>

We need to identify 5 people in each of the 83 Michigan counties who
are willing to collaborate and organize their counties under the
Family Rights Coalition [See web site at http://frcmi.org/ ].  Each
guy and gal needs to find 5 others and create a phone tree to
facilitate communication within their county.  Eventually, each county
group must organize their own county meetings to plan and implement
coordinated statewide actions county by county.  Everyone needs to
join the Family Rights Coalition to help expand our data base and
facilitate communication statewide.

2006 is the year.  We need grassroots leadership and organization by
county so that we can have a voice in the next election, effect
judgeship's, establish a court watch and be able to organize letter
writing campaigns to legislators, other officials and newspaper
"letters to the editor."

We are asking people to sign up as precinct delegates in the political
party they identify with.  This is the lowest level of elected office
and involves minimal responsibility, but can make a great difference
in organizing power to influence what happens.  Anyone who is willing
to become a precinct delegate should e-mail the executive director of
the Family Rights Coalition, Jay Fedewa at jafedawa@frcmi.org.

We need people to distribute leaflets at the courthouses in their
counties that will lead them to join the Family Rights Coalition and
collaborate with the local frc representatives in their respective
county. We also need to be able to distribute cable programs statewide
through the citizen public access cable venues.  We will be producing
our second cable program next month.

... No more whining folks. Only leading and following those who will
lead.

Who is willing to join in this process and be accountable for taking a
task and working it?

Please contact Michael T. Ross, MD, President of the Family Rights
Coalition at mtross152@comcast.net if you are ready to make a
difference.  If you do not have a specific area of interest, we can
suggest things you can do.

This is the year.  The time has come.

Michael T. Ross
Family Rights Coalition