[AKidsRight.Org] The "You're a Parent Notification Act" - Rev B. / Your FEEDBACK

From: AKidsRight.Org Webmaster (webmaster@akidsright.org)
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 15:10:10 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

We've had the Family Rights Act at the site for review,
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/approach.htm

As many of you who have contacted legislators know -- it is a big
step.  It would fully recognize and protect the basic Civil/Human
Right we all have to be parents to our own children, and for our
children to have BOTH parents in their lives.

Right now, even many parents don't think in terms of Civil Rights --
what can we expect of legislators?  Perhaps the introduction of a Law
(even at the State level), that directly addresses the concept of
equal notification in parenting might help?

John Murtari, Group Coordinator, had an opportunity to visit last year
with two members of his State Legislature (New York), Assemblyman
Robert Oaks and Senator Michael Nozzolio. He asked them about ensuring
parental notification of BOTH parents at the birth of a child.  They
both found the concept interesting and John promised follow up with
a draft for a Bill.

Obviously, in almost all cases a mother knows that she is going to be
parent and this Act hopes to bring equality to fathers; however, as
science advances we may soon find the ability to take an 'egg' and bring
it to term -- and perhaps ignore the biological mother.

But remember, our group goal is to ensure we are all considered Fit &
Equal parents.  The discussion of this Act would help not only
Fathers, but Mothers, and also those who have suffered from false
child abuse allegations.  Why?  It will get people thinking about
rights and how those rights should be recognized and protected.

We have THREE sections in this message:

1. You're a Parent Notification Act - first sent out last December.
2. Your FEEDBACK - very good remarks.
3. You're a Parent Notification Act - revision 'B'.

This one is not 'easy'.  It does force you to think about rights.
Your further FEEDBACK is of course welcome.  We hope to bring this Act
into local Legislators within the month.  This message is going to
just direct LIST members.  We will probably do one more revision and a
final call for comments on not only this list, but also yahoogroups.

None of the Act is 'proprietary' -- anyone is welcome to modify it
and use it within your state.  Versions of the Act and background
are also at the web site:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/parental_notification

1. You're a Parent Notification Act - first sent out last December.

                "You're a Parent Notification Act"

Background:

   This Act is founded on the natural law that any child has TWO
   parents and that preparation for being a successful parent begins
   at conception.  Society should ensure the same rights &
   responsibilities to both parents.  No one should be a parent
   without their knowledge.

   [ your suggestions ]

   It shall be the duty of a parent to notify the other parent upon
   the [birth or conception] of a child.  This notification should
   occur with [30] days of the event.  The State will maintain a
   registry of notifications for both parents.  If the [birth or
   conception] event is recognized by [medical or other health
   professionals] they will assist in making sure notification is
   completed.

   The scope of this Act [is limited to just] notification. Once
   notified the parent has recourse to existing law.

Exceptions:

   Notification need not occur in the designated period if a rape is
   alleged and criminal charges are pending against the other parent.
   [other exceptions/details]

Definition of Notification:

   Notification is documented by a [witnessed/signed] document from
   the parent.  It will include the date of [birth or conception] and
   the name and address of the other parent.

   The cost of notification will be shared equally between the
   parents.

Procedures:

   If a parent can not be located [what?]

   If one parent refused to identify the other parent [what?]

   If one parent refuses to acknowledge notification [what?]

[Additional questions of scope for this Act. We do not want to make
this complicated, should the below be included or left out?]

   If a jurisdiction allows a parent to 'abort' a child within a time
   period, thereby relieving them of parenting responsibility --
   should the non birth parent have the ability to declare no desire
   to be a parent and abrogate responsibility for the child (but not
   force an abortion)?

   If a jurisdiction allows a parent, after a live birth, a certain
   period of time to leave a child for adoption, thereby relieving
   them of parenting responsibility -- should the non birth parent be
   presented with a similar option?

[anything else?]

2. Your FEEDBACK [in order of length]
-------------------------------------

--- "Jerry O'Neil" <oneil@CenturyTel.net>

---  Charles Horton <tafari4ii@sbcglobal.net>

--- Diane Booth <Childrescue2006@aol.com>

--- Robert Gartner <planetaryg@yahoo.com>

--- Charles <iamjahlul@aol.com>

--- Suzanne Shell <dsshell@ix.netcom.com>

--- Robert Green <Robert.Green@dshs.state.tx.us>

--- Ann Poorboy <aempoorboy@yahoo.com>

--- Steve <steve66oh@yahoo.com>

> I am in complete agreement that every parent has a right to know
> that they are (or are about to become) a parent. The inequalities
> that exist between men and women with respect to conception,
> pregnancy, "choice" and birth are integral parts of the whole
> problem, and I've spent many hours thinking about solutions to these
> problems.

> As much as I agree with the idea of a "Parental Notification Act", I
> see overwhelming problems. First of all, anyone attempting to draft
> this type of legislation should be completely familiar with the USSC
> decision in "Planned Parenthood of W. PA v. Casey" (1992). In Casey,
> the USSC revoked the "Fundamental Right" status of abortion, making
> it a little easier for states to regulate abortions. More to the
> current point though, in Casey the USSC overturned as
> unconstitutional a PA requirement that pregnant women seeking
> abortions must notify the (suspected) fathers.

> I see a glimmer of hope with the current proposal, because it would
> apply to ALL parents instead of just those seeking abortion, but I
> predict the N.O.W. will portray it as an attempt to impede abortions
> and will fight vigorously against it on that basis.

> Also, in keeping with the current legal status of "unviable tissue
> mass" unborn children, I believe the courts will find that a
> father's prenatal right to know is less important than the mother's
> right to privacy. Upon birth, when the abortion question has been
> made moot, then perhaps notification could be enforceable.

> I've thought about the possibility of shifting the notification
> requirement from the mother to the doctor, but I ran into the same
> privacy/confidentiality issue. At best, a prenatal notification
> would become "Dear Mr. _____, I have just diagnosed a pregnancy in
> which the (unnamed) mother has identified you as a possible
> father. Have a nice day." Even this would bring howls of protest
> from the N.O.W., which would trot out the all-powerful abuse card,
> claiming this law would endanger women carrying babies by allowing
> men to figure out their identities and then use all kinds of threats,
> intimidation and violence to get their own way regarding the babies.

3. You're a Parent Notification Act - revision 'B'.
In the original Act there was a big decision to be made whether
notification should be required at birth or conception.  In light of
the remarks, this revision of the Act was to have its provisions
start at birth.

It is a small compromise without diminishing, within its scope, a
parent's right to know.  It also gets rid of a lot of orthogonal
arguments that could be used as interference.  Obviously, once it is
passed and is accepted as 'normal' process -- more arguments could be
made to have notification started earlier.

             "You're a Parent Notification Act" - Rev. B

Background:

   This Act is founded on the natural law that any child has TWO
   parents and that preparation for being a successful parent
   certainly begins by birth.  Society should ensure the same rights &
   responsibilities to both parents.  No one should be a parent
   without their knowledge.

   While perhaps considered 'obvious' for the mother of a child; as
   bio-technology progresses, the Act would also insure notification
   if an 'egg' was brought to term by artificial means.

   It shall be the duty of a parent to notify the other parent upon
   the birth of a child.  This notification should occur with 30 days
   of the event.  The State will maintain a registry of notifications
   for both parents.  If the birth event is witnessed by medical or
   other health professionals they will assist in making sure
   notification is completed.

   The scope of this Act is limited to just notification. Once
   notified the parent has recourse to existing law.

Exceptions:

   Notification need not occur in the designated period if criminal
   charges for a rape are pending against the other parent.

Definition of Notification:

   Notification is documented by a witnessed & signed document from
   the parent.  It will include the date of birth and the name and
   address of the other parent.

   The cost of notification will be shared equally between the
   parents.

Procedures: [WE COULD USE YOUR HELP ON THESE]

   If a parent can not be located [what?]

      * Legal postings will be made in regional newspapers.

   If one parent refused to identify the other parent [what?]

      * Criminal proceeding beings, police investigation to
        identify/find the other parent.

   If one parent refuses to acknowledge notification [what?]

      * Use of third party process server.  Cost to be shared
        by both parents.

      * A Parent can require DNA Analysis.

--
                                     Webmaster