[AKidsRight.Org] Message from John in Jail

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 13:39:55 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

UPDATE:  The message below was written by John on August 25th.
There has been an update since that time of writing.  His
original message below indicates a new feeding tube wasn't going
to be installed.  However, the feeding tube WAS INSTALLED TODAY
on August 30th.

>From John:

August 25, 2006

Let me start again by saying thanks to all of you who have been so
helpful as this effort continues.  Every letter or phone call matters.
Most of us don't have a lot of money.  A special thanks to those who
contributed to my legal defense.  Mr. Charles Keller is a good lawyer
and I'm fortunate to have him.  We have a page that shows
contributions (http://www.AKidsRight.Org/donation_log_jm.htm).
Approximately $350.00 has been contributed so far.  Full background
on this: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm.

PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THE MESSAGE
-----------------------------
I've had a chance to explain my actions to many people here.  Many of
these people have never been involved in a child custody dispute.  I'm
happy to say that most went from being skeptical -- to understanding
the reason for my actions and our goals as parents.

We are trying to get recognition and protection for our Civil Right to
be presumed FIT & EQUAL parents to our children.  Like Civil Rights
movements of the past, especially the fight against segregation,
people acting with Faith, Love, and demonstrating personal sacrifice -
were very effective in changing how people think.  I have no desire to
hurt myself, but I have to be willing to sacrifice for what I believe
in.

A TV Reporter who was doing an in-jail interview said, "So what you
are saying is that we are seeing the start of a new Civil Rights
movement for Family Rights."  EXACTLY!

MY CONDITION
-------------
I am writing this on August 25th, it has been 25 days without me
eating food.  Tube feedings were going on till last Monday (Aug 21).
The tube was pulled out to give me relief from the discomfort and to
allow some healing to occur to my stomach, throat, and nasal passages.
It was to be reinstalled on Wednesday.  The doctor recommended I drink
some fluids and take some liquid nutrient to aid with the healing.  I
did.  I was at 142 pounds, down from my normal weight of 155.

On Wednesday (Aug 23) the Doctor told me I was not dehydrated and the
tube would not be installed.  He told me I should consider eating and
drinking.  I told him I would stop all eating and drinking as I had
done before.

It has now been a couple of days and I'm starting to feel the effect.
My weight is 136, my blood sugar level at 60, and low blood pressure
84/60.

I had hoped to be a free man by now, but the legal struggle continues
with Judge Hedges refusing to change his sentence.  I have hope for a
stay from an Appellate Judge next week.

I continue to pray for guidance and protection and help.  My resolve
is still strong to see this through, although I am growing more
concerned there could be some long-term health consequences.  I hope
not.

I am acting out of good Faith and for the love I have for my son.  I'm
encouraged by what so many of you have done and also the terrible
experiences many of you have been through.

With the help of God, and working together, I'm sure good things will
happen!

A MESSAGE FROM TERI, GROUP PR PERSON
It has come to my attention that people have called and yelled at
Judge Hedges' secretary and sent hateful letters and emails to the
Judge and Mr. Keller.  This is not what John wants.  Doing these
things disrespects John.  I'd also like to point out that doing these
things could harm John.

I'm arranging another rally/press conference in Syracuse, date to be
announced (hopefully in a week or two.)  If you'd like to attend
please email me, teri@AKidsRight.Org