[AKidsRight.Org] Praying for help in Family Law Reform? / Popular Blog / Your FEEDBACK

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@akidsright.org)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 14:59:54 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

This message contains info on:
1. Current News - Murtari Update
2. A moment to vote, a lifetime of change
3. Praying for reform
4  Your FEEDBACK

1. Current News - Murtari Update
---------------------------------
Today makes the 75th day without solid food in John Murtari's jail
sentence.  His tube feedings continue and he's in good condition.  His
Court appearance for an immediate release is scheduled for next
Wednesday, October 18th.  John certainly hopes to be set free and
thanks all of you that wrote to the judge recently on his behalf.  He
looks forward to going home and seeing his son, but is also ready to
continue his efforts until December 1st if he is not released early.
For more details, see http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support_jm.htm.

2. A moment to vote, a lifetime of change
Teri Stoddard here.

My recent article, "John Murtari, Criminal or Loving
Father?"(http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/71972/parents_rights_activist_murtari_hasnt.html)
was chosen as an Editor's Top Pick and is now a Featured Article under
News on Associated Content.  Please take a moment to visit this site
and vote for my articles. Doing this will help me get recognition for
my work and as well as furthering the cause.

A little way down the page on the left hand side you will see this:
More by Teri Stoddard
(http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/14511/teri_stoddard.html).
This will take you to my other published articles. Please, if you can,
vote for and/or link to them.  If you have a web site, please add my
RSS feed.

I'm especially proud of Is He "the loser" or is he "Dad"? and It's Not
Your Mother's Fathers Movement Anymore.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and vote. I really appreciate
it.  The more people who read our work the more likely we are to force
change.

Keep fighting, we *are* making a difference.

Teri

3. Praying for reform
----------------------
What about belief in God?  What is the role of prayer in reform?  An
uncomfortable topic for a lot of people, including me.  People contact
me and say, "John, I like your messages and ideas, but can you get rid
of the Faith & God stuff.  A lot of people don't believe and it's a
distraction."  What about prayer?  Here are some thoughts and as
always your FEEDBACK is welcome.

The Group AKidsRight.Org is a collection of Moms & Dads trying to
follow NonViolent Action as demonstrated by Gandhi & King.  Please
read more details at: http://www.AKidsRight.Org/civil_back.htm.

Faith and prayer were certainly foundations of those efforts.  What
about ours?

Do you pray to God for reform?
------------------------------
It's a simple question.  My answer is no, not at all, until I started
working on this message.  I don't know about you, but I surprised
myself.

I like to think I pray often, but praying for God's help in our reform
effort never crossed my mind.  Does that make any sense?

Divine Nature
---------------
What we pray for and whether we pray at all depends on how we see
God.  Many see God as a mystical force, the source of natural & moral
law, the first cause.  There is something there, a spiritual force --
but it doesn't/can't care about each and every one of us through out
the universe.  It doesn't respond to our special requests.

Others (and I count myself in this group) have a more traditional
view.  A loving God that cares and responds to each and every one of
us.  This was certainly the God described by Jesus of Nazareth.

I'm still awed by the literal translation of the first words in the
"Our Father" -- that is not what he said.  The original word was
"Abba," which is how a child addressed a parent, literally: Daddy!
Papa!

Certainly an intimate, caring, and responsive relationship.  In his
teachings Jesus emphasized this concept over and over again.  He took
that belief all the way to the Cross.  I try to share that same belief
as I call myself a Christian.

Divine Justice
---------------
Wow, what about that?  I don't pray to God for lower taxes or gas
prices for all.  But a Civil Right, an idea that reflects directly on
our dignity and worth as human beings made in God's image -- worth
praying for all?

Certainly many Blacks prayed for the end of segregation.  Their
churches were filled with calls for help.  I'm sure those sentiments
were repeated in their individual prayers at home.

What about our dignity as parents to our own children?  Our great
Civil Right to be a parent to our own kids.  Isn't that part of the
natural law and Divine justice?  Shouldn't we pray with the same
passion?

Divine Action
--------------
Doesn't this start to change our attitude regarding reform?  Doesn't
it help change the question of "if reform will happen" to "when reform
will happen."

Doesn't it help change the question of "what can one person do" to
"what can one person not do" -- what can God not accomplish?

What goes hand-in-hand with Divine action, our actions based on
Faith.  That our thoughts, words, and actions become consistent with
our Faith in God's help.  That we are willing to take the leap of
Faith confident we will land safely on the other side.

A prayer for Family Rights
---------------------------
Almighty and ever-living God, hear our prayer for justice. Give us the
courage and Faith we need to meet the challenges of reform.  Help all
people recognize the right of parents to be secure and treated equally
in the ability to love their children.  Inspire us to follow your
example of divine love not only for our children, but for all our
brothers and sisters.  Amen.

4. Your FEEDBACK
-----------------

--- Stephen Patrick <stephendpatrick@yahoo.com>

--- Doug DeMoss <Ddsd1104@aol.com>

--- <vintage00gypsy@yahoo.com>

--- Teri Stoddard <teri@AKidsRight.Org>

> Letter to Judge Hedges:

> October 12, 2006

> Honorable Judge Bryan Hedges
> Onondaga County Family Court
> 401 Montgomery Street
> Syracuse, NY 13202

> Dear Judge Hedges:

> Subject: John Murtari

> I realize you are a busy man. I know that you see many cases in your
> courthouse each day, as do most judges across the country. Try as
> you might, it's not humanly possible to know enough about each case
> in the limited time you have with parents to get it right every
> time. I'm writing because I believe you got it wrong in the Murtari
> case.

> I should start by telling you that I acknowledge there are parents
> who run from their responsibilities. I have ex-husbands who avoided
> paying their child support. One in fact, traded recording radio
> commercials for a local restaurant in exchange for free beer; a move
> I had to believe was done to avoid garnishment. Another never paid a
> dime, even while he was enlisted in the Army, something I hope
> parents no longer get away with.

> John Murtari is nothing like my ex-husbands; he's a responsible man
> and loving father. Unlike my ex-husbands, who also abandoned my
> children emotionally and physically, John Murtari is in jail because
> he chose to remain in his son's life.

> You allowed his ex-wife to move his son across the country, for
> reasons that are dubious. As much as I disagree with your decision,
> I won't address that now. What I will address is the fact that you
> have refused to include his travel expenses when calculating his
> child support. I wonder how you expected him to continue to parent
> his son if he wasn't to see him in person. You certainly can't
> believe a young boy doesn't need his father in his life.

> Mr. Murtari hasn't had solid food since July 31 in protest of your
> sentence. That alone should show you the depth of his love for
> Domenic. His example is sure to teach Domenic the importance of
> standing up for your convictions. You can show Domenic the
> importance of admitting when you're wrong by letting his father go
> free when he asks you for a reduced sentence next week, allowing the
> travel expenses from here forward, and adjusting all arrears. I'd
> ask you to give Mr. Murtari the equal physical custody he and
> Domenic want, but I don't think I'll push my luck.

> Please put yourself in Mr. Murtari's shoes. What would you have done
> with a young son across the country and a dying mother to care for
> in Syracuse? Put yourself in Domenic's shoes, who has made it clear
> he wants more time with his father. Will Domenic come out of this
> hating you, all judges or the family courts, or will he have a new
> respect for you, all judges and the family courts?

> Respectfully,

> Teri Stoddard
> Founder
> Shared Parenting Works

--- A collection of older feedback is listed below: