Support Movie - Thursday in Texas/ DC Festival 2008

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.org)
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 21:55:43 EDT

All the information in our messages is FREE for reuse as you desire.
Subscribe/unsubscribe info at end.

A few quick updates:

1. Support? SYSTEM DOWN - Aug 13th in New York, Aug 14th in Texas
2. DC Festival 2008 - Event Details (Aug 14th-15th)
3. DC Festival 2008 - Purpose & Direction?

1. Support? SYSTEM DOWN - Aug 13th in New York, Aug 14th in Texas
Many of you already knew of the showing planned in Lyons, New York,
but there is another showing also planned for Plano, Texas on the
14th.  Summary details for both events (details also available
at the Movie web site http://www.SupportTheMovie.com/).

August 14, 2008 -- SUPPORT? will be showing at the Angelika Film
Center in Plano (near Dallas), Texas from 7:00pm - 9:00pm. Admission
will be $8.00.  A microphone will be set up for discussion following
the showing.  Phone: 972-943-1300

Jim Loose, who appears in the movie, is a Texas native and has been a
long time promoter of Family Rights.  For more details you can visit
the web site http://www.pepintexas.org/ -- "People for Equal Parenting
in Texas"

Theater details:
http://www.angelikafilmcenter.com/index.asp?hID=8774&page=ANGELIKA%20HOMEPAGE

August 13, 2008 -- SUPPORT? will be showing at the Ohmann Theatre in
Lyons (between Rochester/Syracuse), New York at 7:00 pm. Admission
will be $5.00.  Phone: 315-430-2702

Theater details: http://www.ohmanntheatre.com/index.html

New's Release from Aginelo Productions
--------------------------------------
"I'm a dad, not a wallet."

What may prompt millions of non-custodial dads to say this phrase or
at least think it? How is it that millions of children of divorce or
separation may wonder why they can't see their beloved Dad, or
sometimes Mom, more than 4 to 6 days a month, if that?

These are just two of the important questions raised by Angelo Lobo,
Producer and Director of the full-length documentary "Support System
Down," which examines problems within the nation's child support
system.

Lobo's film "Support System Down" comes to the Ohmann Theatre in
Lyons, New York on August 13, 2008 starting at 7 pm, EDT and to the
Angelika Film Center in Plano, Texas on August 14, 2008 at 7 pm, CDT.

The film contends that many fathers, and some mothers, can't even get
their "visitation" court orders enforced. The system's unfairness can
also affect our military men and women. Parents want equal parenting
not "visitor" status. Most parents don't have to be convinced to do
the right thing in supporting their children; they already are willing
and able to do that. Nevertheless, many believe that the family court
and child support systems treat them and their families unjustly. The
children suffer the most.

"We created this film to expose the serious unfairness in the system
in order to help effect positive change for millions of families men,
women, and children. The situation is beyond absurd. We have loving,
fit fathers, who want to be there and support their children, who are
unfairly prevented from doing so. On the other hand, we have men
proven by DNA testing not to be the dad, yet they are forced to
financially support children they may not even know and did not
father," said Lobo.

Angelo Lobo hopes his film can contribute greatly to the effort of
raising nationwide public awareness.

"Both mothers and fathers are tired of being unfairly vilified,
pursued and stereotyped when it comes to financial child support. They
say it doesn't help their children or families when the main
breadwinner is devastated, humiliated, threatened, or constantly
pursued by a misguided and ill-informed system. Unfair, illogical,
harsh, punitive measures against alleged nonpayers, such as lifting
driver's and professional licenses and jail, are not helping children
and families," said Lobo.

"I wanted to convey these loving parents' stories in a compelling way
and to give these parents a powerful voice. Children want and need
both parents in their lives. Children suffer and miss their parents
when they're unjustly separated from them following divorce or family
breakup. They need adequate time with both parents, which often
doesn't happen in our current system," said Lobo.

For information or to book Angelo Lobo for interviews, visit
http://www.supportthemovie.com , call (888)881-3118 or (760)889-8815,
or email info@supportthemovie.com

To receive announcements about "Support? System Down"

View trailers: http://www.supportthemovie.com/trailers/

Additional Info if you would like to do a local showing:
There were a few questions and a concern regarding our recent message
on the movie, "Support? SYSTEM DOWN" -- if you need to reference that
message is archived at:
http://www.AKidsRight.Org/archive/archive2008/0021.html

Here are a few quick answers:

> I'm a bit concerned about a Movie that features a former President
> of NOW (Karen DeCrow)?

Ms. DeCrow was president of NOW from 1974-1977.  She disagrees with
the bias of the present family court system and supports two parent
involvement and shared parenting. You can go to Glenn Sack's website
for a nice background article with info about her:
http://www.glennsacks.com/now_at_40.htm

> How do we set up for a local airing?  What is needed?

You can just contact the producer, Mr. Angelo Lobo, directly by either
email (info@SupportTheMovie.com) or toll free at 888-881-3118.  Most
theaters will allow you to rent their facility for a reasonable rate
(and provide staff to take tickets, run the movie).  You set the
ticket prices and keep whatever is made and arrange some sharing with
the Producer.  The Movie is on DVD and could be shown anywhere as a
group fund-raiser, again, contact Angelo directly to work out details.

Angelo is a very nice guy and I'm sure he will follow up with and
answer any questions you have.

> Are there to be any showings in California or is the movie available
> for purchase?

There was a showing in California a few months ago which we announced
on the list.  We'll try to announce any other showings.  It is not
available on DVD yet for purchase.  If you know of a group that wants
to show the movie it's fairly easy to do (see above).

2. DC Festival 2008 - Event Details
-----------------------------------
The DC Festival begins later this week.  The link below is the
primary event website:    http://dcfestival2008.com/

Submitted by: "Torm Howse" <indianacrc@earthlink.net>

There are also many other things going on - too much to even try and
list. The Master Schedule is here:

http://www.editgrid.com/user/indianacrc/DCFestival2008

... We are connecting our family rights issues, with the people of
faith, community, government, industry, music, and general public, who
all live, work, and play in the DC area... every day of the year. We
are surgically implanting family rights and parental rights,
permanently, into the thinking capital of the world..

If you plan to be at the DC Festival, you will also be interested in
the three links just below:

(AutoReminder: EVERYBODY will be at http://tinyurl.com/6rl7r2)
(aerial + hotels + ridesharing details at http://tinyurl.com/6e58ts)
(Volunteer for Better Success! click http://tinyurl.com/5o8pbh)

Regards,
Torm Howse
National Board Director,
United Civil Rights Councils of America
http://unitedcivilrights.org

3. DC Festival 2008 - Purpose & Direction?
     "Effort & Courage are not enough without Purpose & Direction."
                       President John F. Kennedy

As many of you know, I'm a bit believer in open communication and the
ability to disagree without 'character assassination'.  Many people
bemoan the lack of unity in our effort; and I firmly believe that is a
product of 'us' being against the present system, but not really have
a clear vision of what the solution is ... something we are all for.

In a combination of distance, expense, and lack of motivation, I won't
be in DC for the Festival this weekend.  I had some questions and
concerns that perhaps some of you may share and I think the email
exchanges below provided some answers for all of us.

---  To: "Lary Holland" <laryholland@sbcglobal.net>

  I was really ready to go to the Rally2008 and I had a lot of trust
  in Ron Smith and his ideals and goals.  I'm getting ready to send
  out a list message on the topic and I'd like to include your
  thoughts to the following. Please, nothing confidential.

  I'm not in favor of the 'Big Tent' approach.  I went to the Festival
  web site and I don't even know if we share the same goal -- the
  music talks about 'rights', but I don't even know what right that
  is?  Do you even feel that is important?  How about:

       To be presumed a FIT & EQUAL parent unless convicted in
       Criminal Court, with jury protection, of being a demonstrated
       serious threat to my kids and acting with malintent.

       Of course, that type of bold statement would mean that almost
       all the FLDS parents in Texas, and Britney Spears, and Alec
       Baldwin, and your former spouse, and YOU -- should be FIT &
       EQUAL (in time & responsibility of course) with your kids.
       What about that?

  I really hesitate at participating in a march lead by F-4-J and guys
  dressed up in purple combat fatigues.  I think the play soldier
  stuff is completely counter message. Are you okay with guys in
  combat fatigues?  Are "Fathers" the face of your/our movement?

  I've been to some 'open mike' DC events in the past and sometimes
  you get people who seem to have a pretty different goal?  I don't
  know how we build an event from year to year when the people coming
  don't share the same goal.  I don't think being against the current
  system is going to bring us together -- what are we for?

--- Lary's thoughtful reply (my original message with  '>' ):

       > To be presumed a FIT & EQUAL parent unless convicted in
       > Criminal Court, with jury protection, of being a demonstrated
       > serious threat to my kids and acting with malintent.

Your Statements should extend into all areas of the family court
reform, not just isolated into child custody, many people know that I
advocate strongly for less government intrusion in many areas. This
issue is the loudest because it is the most intrusive. I agree with
your assessment. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for someone to
write a great song that speaks only of one right, but let's face
it... this is a civil rights movement, not just one right, but all
rights. If you allow one to be infringed or intruded, you welcome all
rights to be intruded or traded for something else. This is
unacceptable in our society.

Please take a moment and read both of these:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3970577/US-REPRESENTATIVE-PETE-HOEKSTRA-SUPPORTS-DC-FESTIVAL-2008
http://www.scribd.com/doc/3786978/State-Rep-John-Stahl-Supports-DC-FESTIVAL-2008

Our state, Michigan, is the only state that has a pending State
Constitutional Amendment regarding part of this issue. It looks like
our Equal Parenting Bill will die in committee. (HB4564) But, these
are still validated efforts that must go forward, in fact ... The
abolitionist party, the women's suffrage movement, etc. never got a
candidate in place but they went through the motions and eventually
achieved the results they were seeking.

Further to your statements of Minister Ron Smith, he has my full
support and he supports this movement and this event as does the ACFC
and many other organizations, politicians, candidates, individuals,
and everything in between. The reason being, we are a national civil
rights movement supported by peaceful assembly and non-violent
action. You can find Minister Ronald Smith's Letter of Support and he
just was on our talk show tonight speaking that his son Ariel is
likely going to be with him at the event which was one of the best
things about the show tonight. This event is a catalyst to additional
activity that will be shared post-election, what I refer to as a snow
ball effect or "validation" exercise making each subsequent action
easier. There are no short-term fixes, and this is a long-term effort.

No big tents here, and many activities for children, activists,
general public participation, and alliance building. We must narrow
the differences between many groups, emphasizing on build a more solid
social/political movement.
http://www.laryholland.com/eightstages.html

       > Of course, that type of bold statement would mean that almost
       > all the FLDS parents in Texas, and Britney Spears, and Alec
       > Baldwin, and your former spouse, and YOU -- should be FIT &
       > EQUAL (in time & responsibility of course) with your kids.
       > What about that?

I agree with your assessment, to the degree that there is an increased
standard of proof in determining fitness. No less than Clear and
Convincing evidence with a preference for Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I
believe that both parents should share equal roles in their children's
lives, not in the form of equitable adjustment, but in actual
equality. We work with people that we don't like on occasion and that
should not inhibit our jobs, just like if our spouses/ex-spouses can
not get along it should not interfere with their ability to raise
their children.

       >  really hesitate at participating in a march lead by F-4-J
       >  and guys dressed up in purple combat fatigues.  I think the
       >  play soldier stuff is completely counter message. Are you
       >  okay with guys in combat fatigues?  Are "Fathers" the face
       >  of your/our movement?

As I am sure you are aware, the issues we face are comparable to a
geodesic shape. You have to have people working at various levels on
different aspects, punching so many holes into the system that it
eventually cannot sustain its' own weight. This is an issue of choice,
if you do not want to participate in the peaceful march there are
simultaneous events happening at Upper Senate Park, the Hotel, and
other locations. In much the same way that some would say... does it
really make a difference writing with chalk? Some people say no, so
they choose to work on other things, such as running for an office,
engaging in other productive conduct that they have determined worthy
of their time. Just as family court has fractured our families, groups
continue to fracture themselves because of differences of
opinions. This in itself is counterproductive to change. I watched a
non-violent gun rights event in Michigan just in the past week, where
40 men walked out of a cafe with a sidearm on their outside, since it
is legal and a permit is not required. They were educating the public
that 2nd Amendment protections are alive and well, an exercise of
citizenship. All civil liberties, civil rights, and hedonic liberties
must be protected, exercised, and respected by government and society.

I don't see any one "gender" or any one "class" or any one "race"
being able to solve the social ills of todays' "insolvent"
society. So, are father's the face of a movement? Fathers will make a
difference, mothers will make a difference, grandparents will make a
difference, aunts, uncles, and every label of society will make a
difference that WILL LEAD TO CHANGE. I will not change a single thing
in this world, but by chance I might make a difference combined with
your efforts, the next persons efforts, and on and on, in an objective
positive light. No one method is the only way.

       > I've been to some 'open mike' DC events in the past and
       > sometimes you get people who seem to have a pretty different
       > goal?  I don't know how we build an event from year to year
       > when the people coming don't share the same goal.  I don't
       > think being against the current system is going to bring us
       > together -- what are we for?

There are multiple problems with the system. I agree with your
assessment that we have to stop being "Anti" and start being
"Proactive" instead of just reactive. Unfortunately we live in a
society of what's in it for me? That is not the case with me, I live
by a simple phrase in much of what I do... "It is infinitely more
valuable to fight for the rights of others than to fight for your
own." I hope you agree. I am nonviolent, objective, and determined to
raise the activity level of all groups so that our children do not
have to face the coming storm of government intrusion. It isn't just
in family court, it is in most forms of government bureaucracy.

--- To a leader of F-4-J:  "Donald Tenn" <donald.tenn@ca.f4j.us>

> I talked to Fred a few days ago and I like both of you guys, but
> you've got to help me out with the 'combat fatigue' thing.  I think
> you know I don't like it, and I now I hear F-4-J is suppose to lead
> the march for the DC Festival?  In combat fatigues?  I'll be honest,
> that is not for me.

I understand your opinion with regard to the "PEACE PANTS" as we have
previously discussed your concerns. Personally I do not see a concern
with PURPLE pants in any manner. Purple as you are aware is recognized
as the International color for EQUALITY. When it comes to what our
members wear, neither you nor I have any influence, nor would I want
to assume any. I do however very much appreciate F4J members showing a
sign of solidarity and that is what our gear does, it shows that we
are UNITED in our efforts to affect the necessary changes within our
corrupt judiciary.

John, I am very happy that you are allowed the opportunity to share
time with your son Domenic, there are many of us who do not see our
children at all. With that said, let's put our minor differences
behind us and move forward, UNITED towards our common enemy, the
family courts.

I wish you well, I wish you peace and most importantly rest assured
that once we are UNITED... JUSTICE IS COMING!!! -- Donald

--
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org                "A Kid's Right to BOTH parents"