NonViolent Action (Jan 20) - Right to know you have a child?

From: John Murtari (jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 10:19:32 EST

All the information in our messages is FREE for reuse as you desire.
Subscribe/unsubscribe info at end.

Things have been quiet for me regarding NonViolent Action for the last
month.  Usually, in January, I had tried to resume our efforts to get
(former) Sen. Clinton to meet with parents - well - she is gone now.
A more significant problem (for me) is not being able to drive due to
child support and a suspended license
<http://www.AKidsRight.Org/support/traffic_jm.htm>.

This pretty much limits me to walking distance!  Fortunately, there is
a member of the NY State Assembly, Mr. Robert Oaks
<http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/?ad=128>,

who has an office in my hometown of Lyons (map)
<http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10+leach+road,+lyons,+ny+14489&ie=UTF8&ll=43.058855,-77.000427&spn=1.244212,1.73584&z=9>.

I have been trying to convince him to introduce a Bill in the NY State
Legislature to recognize & protect the right of a parent to know they
have a child. <http://www.AKidsRight.Org/parental_notification>

I've spoken with him in person several times and also members of his
staff.  They are all very nice people, but right now he feels there
would be strong political risk in such a Bill and will not introduce
it.  I hope that through our positive efforts we can convince him
otherwise.  The effort should begin on Jan 20th by quietly standing
outside his local offices. Please go to:

http://www.AKidsRight.Org/parental_notification for more
details. Contact me directly if you are interested in participating.

I like the simplicity of this goal, "Do I have a right to now I have a
child, that I am a parent?"  If we can't get legislators (and the
public) to agree to that -- it is a long stretch to protecting parents
from CPS and getting EQUAL parenting.  Don't forget, just over 50
years ago segregation also made sense to a lot of genuinely good
people!

If you think you can get such a Bill introduced in your State
legislature, let me know and we'll publicize your efforts.

More Background
---------------
Like many of you, I'm not getting any younger!   I had a great time
with my son at Christmas, I really enjoy my work (which is having
serious financial troubles because of my extra-curricular activities),
and at times it just seems so much easier to just quit and let it go!

The system is a BIG MONSTER and like a local Judge told me, "You are
just one man -- you can't beat it!"

But you know, I refuse to believe that.  While I am always trying to
get more people involved (and that will happen eventually), I'm not
excused from taking action as an individual and making peaceful
personal sacrifice for what I believe in.   Like the greeting in this
message, I have to remind myself I am a person of Faith in a loving
God whose "arm is not to short to save, nor his ear to dull to hear."

In the past few months I've had several people contact me who wanted
to take strong public action, protest & hunger strike, to prove how
wrong the system is and get back at those officials who hurt them...
I sensed most were acting out of desperation and none seemed ready to
act out of love?  I never heard anymore from them, perhaps their anger
just burned itself out (and them with it)?

We've launched the National Parent's Leadership Council,
http://www.NationalPLC.Org/ and the response has been good so far.  We
are trying to bring people together who are motivated by the same
goals and ideals.  Please consider joining the group.

--
Coordinator                            AKidsRight.Org
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org                "A Kid's Right to BOTH parents"