New & Improved Group Mailing List

From: AKidsRight.Org (jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2013 - 16:49:35 EDT

Good People & People of Faith,

We've been using the same mailing list software for over 10 years (http://Org.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7570bc56b2e8a5d7c1d034bf3&id=cea78422d3&e=30867598fb) .  It was time to upgrade and we'd also like to clean up the list.  We've gone with a commercial product which should make subscribe/unsubscribe a lot easier.  It may take a few messages to get things settled down and your comments are welcome! We'll still be sending only about one message/week and collecting your feedback.

Although they appear at the bottom of every message. The following links allow you to control your subscription:

The image at the top is a little 'retro' -- but it is what we are about:  Much, much too easy for the 'system' to interfere in family life.  Our previous message (http://Org.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=7570bc56b2e8a5d7c1d034bf3&id=4fe32e16bc&e=30867598fb) talked about future plans and we need all the participation we can get.   Many of us become per-occupied with other things in our lives (and I've been no exception!).  As a reminder, here is what we are about:

1. NonViolent Action - needed to cross threshold.
The key to our success is a non-violent approach based on NonViolent Action.Please follow the link and read (http://Org.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7570bc56b2e8a5d7c1d034bf3&id=f45ccff3c9&e=30867598fb) about a very positive approach! We are not loud, rude, or vindictive.  We treat everyone with kindness and respect -- especially people with whom we disagree (which includes the other parent, lawyers, and other officials in the "system").

We have held up the ideal that people willing to demonstrate: Faith, Love, and Personal Sacrifice can be the means of effective social change. More specifically, that Parents can promote Family Law reform by demonstrating:

1) Faith in a loving God,
2) Love for their children, former spouses, and other "brothers and sisters", and
3) Willingness to make Personal Sacrifice,

2. Our Goals
Our Goal - Many of us talk about the right to be with our kids.  But I guess what we are really saying is there ought to be a "significant barrier" the system has to cross before they can interfere with our family life.

We are not looking for MORE laws, but protection.  If your right to be a parent to your children is threatened by divorce, separation, or the action of 'social services' -> That before the "system" caninterfere with you and your children you have:

1) The right to counsel.
2) The right to be presumed an innocent and fit parent deserving of an equal relationship with your kids.
3) The right to protection of a jury.  The "state" needs to prove you were a demonstrated serious and intentional threat to your child.

3. NonViolent Action and an amazing arrest - it does work.
A lot of people write and tell me NonViolent Action doesn't always work.  That was brought home to me during one of my arrests several years ago.  After about 28 times I was  pretty knowledgeable about arrest procedures, I usually see the same officers and usually they mellow as they get to know me.

Well, Officer X was going to be the exception. He slapped the hand cuffs on hard the first time around and made a point of pushing me in the right direction.  The second time round he managed to give me a hard tap in the "balls" as he was frisking my legs.  He would always look at me with disdain and would not start a conversation.

Well, the third time was the charm.  It was 95 and a sunny, humid day.  He and his partner put me in the patrol car with the engine off and the windows rolled up.  I sweated like a pig for 10-15 minutes while they talked outside.  Now, I didn't say anything, but my thoughts were clear, "Why you stupid A## Hole!"  On the way to the jail he called home and told someone he would be late off his shift to look after the kids.  Then he asked me if I knew the hassle I was causing and that I was just a selfish human being.

Now, I just said "no," but in my thoughts I added, "you stupid jerk!" We drove for a while, and he made some similar comments.  I tried to change the topic by telling him he was lucky to have some kids to go home to. He then responded with, "Well, by that comment I know you don't care about anyone buy yourself.  You protesters just don't care."  I didn't say a thing, but my thoughts were, "buddy, why don't you just go F#ck yourself."

By this time I thought, "this guy is a lost cause. All the NonViolent action on earth wouldn't get through to this blockhead."  We got to the jail, his partner left, and he and I were alone waiting to be admitted.  He then walks up to me and says,"I want to apologize for what happened on the way over here ... it's been long day and these guys in booking are so slow, I'm always late getting out of here... That is no excuse for me giving you a hard time."

Man!  My jaw just about hit the floor. All I did was nod my head and we got to talking about the force, the job, and retirement.  He asked me if I could do my thing a little bit earlier in the day (I usually walk into the building around 2pm) so it wouldn't be near the end of the shift.  I told him I had to take the bus and I tried to get some
work done in the morning.  But that I would try (and I will) -- next time will be closer to 1PM.  He asked me about what I was doing and trying to accomplish.  It was a regular talk.

Did I apologize to him for my thoughts, no, it never even came tomind. I was just so shocked.  If I would have gone "off" and said what I was thinking.  There would have been an entirely differentending.  One that would have confirmed my worst suspicions. Imagine that!  It was a look in the mirror.  --