NY State Senate - Easier to make deadbeats felons!

From: John Murtari, Coordinator (jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org)
Date: Sun Jul 06 2014 - 17:19:34 EDT

View this email in your browser (http://us7.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7570bc56b2e8a5d7c1d034bf3&id=54c6dae908&e=7f791675aa)

** Good People & People of Faith,
This message has info on:

1) New York State Senate - easier to make deadbeats felons!!!
2) Criminal Jury - the greatest protection for families.
3) New Jersey - FACE picnic.

1) New York State Senate - make it easier to make deadbeats felons!!!
The New York State Senate, in an almost unanimous vote makes it easier to create felons.
Read the News Release -> http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/senator-ball-s-dead-beat-parent-bill-passes-nys-senate
The text of the Bill (very short) -> http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?sh=printbill&bn=S2292&term=2013
Finding the penal law they are changing to make it a Class E Felony -> http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article260.htm#p260.05

Before I saw how the system worked, I too (and YOU) might have thought this a fine effort.  Then I saw how easy it is to base a support order on 'imputed' income which requires little or no proof, can be made retroactive to cover many years, and of course, is the result of a proceeding which never recognized your right to be presumed a FIT & EQUAL parent.

Honestly, probably not a big threat.  I was surprised to learn the felony provisions have been there for several years.  Why is it rare to see a prosecution on this?   Because you get the protection of a Criminal Jury.   It's not just a Family Court Judge who 'feels' you are behind -- the District Attorney needs to get a unanimous verdict from a Jury, beyond a reasonable doubt....

This Bill now goes to the New York State Assembly.  One item that would make a BIG improvement -> "If the support order is based on other than 1040 reported income the defendant has the right to present evidence the ordered amount was improper and this is a defense against the charge..."

What do you think?
2) Criminal Jury - the greatest protection for families.
http://www.akidsright.org/family_rights/family-rights-poster.pdfOur Founding Fathers gave the people jury protection to protect our liberty from overreaching government.   So much of the waste & destruction that currently goes on in Family Court could be removed.  We just need to protect that presumption of being FIT & EQUAL.

<< - Click on image for details.
We care about our children, but we've made it too easy to tear a family apart.

3) New Jersey - FACE picnic.
Submitted byJeff Golden (mailto:jeffface@aol.com?subject=FACE)
http://www.faceNJ.org/

I, too, am disappointed that Fatherless Day celebrations have deteriorated to nothing.  One would think that someone would take the reigns and organize some kind of demonstration somewhere.  Or maybe things have improved in family court since our cases were there, and now everyone who goes through court is perfectly satisfied with the outcome and with their post-court lives.  I don't know.  Maybe someone can tell me which is correct.
FYI, attached is a photo of about half the people at FACE's 1st Annual Fathers Day Family Fun Festival in Sandy Hook NJ.  In addition to games, and face painting, and crafts, and lots of hot dogs and hamburgers,
(http://www.faceNJ.org/)

Best regards!
Coordinator                          AKidsRight.Org
jmurtari@AKidsRight.Org     "A Kid's Right to BOTH parents"
(315) 944-0999(x-211)           http://www.AKidsRight.Org/

FREE FOR REDISTRIBUTION
 Previous member of earlier group list.